Clear all

Gibson Les Paul--roundup of models?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jester)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is there any place to get a clear, objective discussion of the differences among models of the Gibson Les Paul? The Gibson website just talks about everything being fantastic. I'm sure there's something like this on the web, but Googling just returns zillions of results for stores selling the thing, and these sites aren't too specific either. Or incredibly elaborate historical sites charting the collectability of each model over the years.

Looking just at musiciansfriend shows that there's the Standard '60s Neck, the Standard Limited Edition, the Standard '50s Neck, the Standard 1958, the Classic, the Studio, the Vintage, the Deluxe, the Supreme, the Custom, and so forth, far too many to bother typing.

Looking either there or at the Gibson site shows that almost every one is described as the best, as the most original, as the closest to the original, as having original features but updated for modern times; as having humbuckers or burstbuckers or mini-humbuckers, each of which has the fullest and richest and smoothest sound, and on and on. Visiting local guitar stores hasn't been too helpful either. About the only thing I can understand easily is that the models described as "black" look black, and that the ones with a "flame maple top" look like, well, you know.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i will become a big time contributor to this discussion when i actually own a Gibson LP :lol: ( either i get so lucky that i find a 1500 $ cheque lying on the ground OR get as lucky as ricochet :wink:)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Harmony Central has a section for reviews by users.
you could search for Gibson guitars and read many many hands on reviews.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Gibson/

I hope it helps, although my experience. Unfortunately there is really no substitute for looking yourself and to keep asking questions. Depending on your price range you might also look at Epiphone Elistist or Heritage (the old Kalamazoo factory).

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I read an interview with Les Paul, on his 90th birthday. Apparently, he still gets one of every model produced and now has over a hundred LPs at home - jammy git. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, trying to get a list together may not be that easy.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It can be a little confusing. Go to Musicians Friend and type in Gibson Les Paul for search. Then, once results pop up, use Sort "Price- Low to High". I think this is probably the best way to figure the models out.

But very basically you have:

Les Paul Jr. and Melody Maker- This has a flat top and one single coil P-90 pickup. The LP Jr. has always been a very popular guitar.

Les Paul Faded Special- These have a flat mahogany body and two humbuckers

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany- This has a carved mahogany body with humbuckers. To me, this is the beginning of the real Les Pauls with a carved body. But that is just a personal opinion of mine.

Les Paul Studio- Carved maple top, mahogany back, two humbuckers. Advertised as having all the "essentials" of the LP Standard. This guitar does not have a binding arount the body or neck.

Les Paul Deluxe- now you have binding. Different and smaller pickups.

Les Paul Classic- getting real nice now.

Les Paul Standard- expensive

Les Paul Custom- real expensive

Les Paul Supreme- got $2900 for a guitar, it's yours.

This is a very basic order. When you see something like "Studio Plus" it will have a better finish, or binding, extras like that.

By the way, I own a LP Studio and am very happy with it. It is a beautiful and well built guitar, and to me gets the famous Les Paul tone. This is a great guitar for those on a budget. Some feel the LP must have binding, so if you can afford a few hundred more you might be happy with the Deluxe or Classic. The Standard is the Les Paul.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote