51 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Good prices on those.

Leslie West guitar, huh?

That's a straight-ahead rock machine. :)

(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Doesn't look that ugly to me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar?sku=512640

Those reviews look ugly though.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I wonder if they're gonna bring out a Melody Maker double-cut too. That would be cool.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Who would buy this over an Epiphone Les Paul, and why?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Who would buy this over an Epiphone Les Paul, and why?

Play it and find out how much character a simple, light-bodied guitar with a lone single coil can have. There's a reason Leslie West was and still is a LP Junior man.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've almost never used just the bridge pickup, except on a tele, so i probably would ignore this guitar in a store.
the reviews over at harmony central are positive, but it looks like there have been many different models of the melody maker.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The people over at the Les Paul forum are buying them all up:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123168

Something like that would never happen here at GN ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

This is another case of one that got away from me.

I had 2 original melody makers back in the seventies, one standard size and one 3/4 sized. Each had cost about $75.00. I think I traded them for a Dodge van. Wish I kept them.

These are no nonsense Rock and Roll machines, just a basic one pickup funky guitar, sounded great with a little gain, perfect for blues and classic rock. Kinda reminded me of a Tele on steroids.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well you could play them, but not drive them around, so it was a good trade at the time I suspect :)

I think they're a little lighter than a Les Paul, so that has its merits too.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

They look interesting for sure. Not exactly the nicest looking guitar, but not bad. I'dn love to try one out. Perhaps someone on here will buy one and post a in-depth review for the rest of us.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It would be an interesting guitar to have if only for the sake of seeing what kind of different tones you could coax out of it using just the one pickup, the volume and tone controls, the amp, and technique.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you can do that with any guitar

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

you can do that with any guitar

Yah that's true isn't it? I guess it would take a bit of self-control on my part though, not reaching for the pickup selector. It's almost a habit, but then habits can be broken on any guitar as well. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Along the same lines, I'd like to get a P-Bass one day; just work with that one pickup, single vol. and tone control. To me, there's not that many usable, good bass sounds (that fit well in an all-around sort of way), but within the limited framework of the single pup, there's still some pretty good leeway.

At the very least it would be good to practice on a single pup guitar, though it's not that practical if you're in, say, a cover-band and can't do without a wide (and distinct) variety of sounds. This guitar is probably the further effort of Gibson to capture marketshare in the beginner guitar-buyer area.

Can't see it being a big hit, but you never know.

EDIT: But for $349 or so? Probably not

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My first guitar only had one pickup. Well it had 3, but only one would actually produce sound..........not that much fun. It'll be a hit for sure. Not something I'd get though.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4