Skip to content
going out of my min...

Notifications
Clear all

going out of my mind trying to learn modes! help!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have a solution to learning modes? any website recommendations, I've been trying to read this book with a section about modes but it doesn't explain it very well, which seems to be the problem I run in to.

I know how modes work, you have the 8 note scale, and move on the next mode by starting with the second note of the previous scale, ie- cdefgabc is ionian, dorian would be defgabcd, but this book is confusing me with its hand positioning and how you can use the whole fretboard in the key your in.

basically, any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Your book is combining two concepts. It's using the relationship of each mode to the scale it can be derived from as a handy way to name scale positions. It's trying to explain that if you're playing in C major, for example, and you need to move up the neck a little, then you can use the scale position which you have learned as D dorian and it will fall in key. If you learn the notes on your neck, you won't need to worry about this. Using modes to name scale positions isn't really related to using modes practically. It's just an alternative wording for talking about scale positions.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

so if I am in the key of C major, and I can use all of the modes starting with C ionian, then D dorian, etc etc.. the D dorian will be the same as D ionian in the scale of D major??

And to add to the confusion, at least by me, the part they talked about in my book was using the key of C major, starting with E phrygian scale but using open notes as well, then going all the way to D dorian, so what I understood is that I could use the same finger positioning for lets say C ionian starting on the 8th fret as I did with E phrygian, but that doesn't work out as I found. I just wish I could find a lesson online that explains it fairly well and organized. Thanks.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Modes are easiest to grasp if you look at them as alterations of the major scale.

It's true that D Dorian and C Ionian have the same notes - but that also gets you confused when you try to play in D Dorian (you end up playing in C major instead!)

A better way is to look at the D scale:

D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D

and D Dorian:

D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D

You can see that D Dorian is the D scale with a b3 and b7. So solo in D, but flat the 3rds and 7ths - voila, you're in D Dorian.

If you're comfortable with all the major and minor scales, it helps to split the modes - relate Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian to minor scales, and Ionian, Lydian, and Mixolydian to major scales.

D harmonic minor:

D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C#-D

So D Dorian is D harmonic minor with a raised 6th and a lowered 7th.... or the natural minor with a raised sixth, if you're more comfortable with that one.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote