Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Gorilla Snot RULES!

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just got some of this and it works GREAT! My pick doesn't move a bit in my fingers! It stinks something fierce and is a pain to get off your fingers but at lease the pick doesn't move!

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

if you're having problems with your pick moving, you either need a different kind of pick or you have to hold it differently

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

U2Bono269

I wouldn't agree with that. I have always had extremely dry hands. I cannot pick up a piece of paper without touching my fingers to my lips. And I have always had trouble with picks because of this. At one time I used to put tiny squares of double-sided tape on my picks so they wouldn't slip around in my grip. I tried many picks, the problem was my dry hands.

So this looks like some pretty good stuff. I do not have the problems I used to, but picks still slide around a bit on me. I might check this stuff out.

Thanks.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

if you're having problems with your pick moving, you either need a different kind of pick or you have to hold it differently

I have tried many kinds of picks and even drilled some holes in some for grip (worked OK) but this stuff is the best I have tried so far. I tried the 2 sided tape as well and it didn't last. With the Gorilla Snot you just put a tiny bit on your index finger and thumb then rub it on your pick and let dry. The heat from your hand causes it to be sticky. It's kind of a pain to get the excess off your fingers when you first put it on but once it's on the pick and dried it feels fine. I always have prefered medium picks...I tried heavy and it's ok for picking but I tend to strum too hard with it. The mediums give me the best of everything and with Gorilla Snot my search is over!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

RECOMMENDATION

You can buy the same stuff at any bowling alley, bowling pro shop, or maybe even WalMart called Pro Grip or various other names. It is about 1/4 the price of Gorilla snot, works just as well and does not stink.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

RECOMMENDATION

You can buy the same stuff at any bowling alley, bowling pro shop, or maybe even WalMart called Pro Grip or various other names. It is about 1/4 the price of Gorilla snot, works just as well and does not stink.

I'll have to check that out. This stuff reminds me of the old "Stick Um" the NFL players used to use back in the early 80's.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I use Dunlop TorTex picks. They're not very smooth and I never have a problem holding them.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

aaah, i had no idea this was a problem for alot of people. i used to have problems as well, and i tried the hole drilling thing too. Finally, I tried Fender celluloid picks and they were easier to hold. I was still slipping though. So I altered the way I held the pick, and suddenly it stayed where it was supposed to be. So therefore I thought it was all in mechanics. Obviously I am mistaken. hope i didnt ruffle any feathers :)

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

aaah, i had no idea this was a problem for alot of people. i used to have problems as well, and i tried the hole drilling thing too. Finally, I tried Fender celluloid picks and they were easier to hold. I was still slipping though. So I altered the way I held the pick, and suddenly it stayed where it was supposed to be. So therefore I thought it was all in mechanics. Obviously I am mistaken. hope i didnt ruffle any feathers :)

You're fine Bono...you caught me in a good mood :wink: !

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, me too, no offense taken. But for some people like myself dry hands are a problem with any pick.

On the plus side, my strings stay good forever. :D

I had a friend who had the exact opposite problem. His hands perspired very much. If you shook his hand it always felt moist. His strings would actually turn BLACK in about one week. He had to change strings constantly.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

My fingers also seem rather dry, but I can't say I've ever had a problem hold picks, holding on to them is different though, I lose plently.

I often times see people who have picks slip out of their fingers all the time and wondered if it was a grip thing. It still may be grip, but now at least I won't always think they're holding the pick like a moron.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I had a friend who had the exact opposite problem. His hands perspired very much. If you shook his hand it always felt moist. His strings would actually turn BLACK in about one week. He had to change strings constantly.

My hands get like that. I can pick up pennies, nickles, and dimes with the tips of my fingers. I just tap down on the change and it sticks to my fingers. My nephews think it's a great trick.

Good thing I clean the strings off with a dry cloth these days.

As for the sticky stuff to put on picks....sounds like a great idea. I'll have to tell my friend about that. He has same trouble as you mikespe.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

LOL, I used to use a product we called Gorilla Snot back in the late 70's early 80's to seal the primary case on my Norton motorcycle to slow down the oil leakage.
I can't remember if it was actually called that, but that's what we always refered to it as.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Ever been to a concert and seen one of those multi pick holders on the performers mic stand? There's a reason for that, those little things can slip out of the best players hand. :wink:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Picks slip for most. But many of us have simply gotten used to the fact that it happens occasionally, and learned to strum, pick, whack or whatever required with nails, pads, thumb or anything handy it takes to finish the tune. After doing this many times one just gets good at making it through without plectral technology. But if snot works for ya ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2