Great experience last night

36 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My youngest son (8) has been playing drums for almost three years now, and I just bought my older son (13) a bass a few weeks ago. A year or so ago, I tried playing my guitar along with my youngest son but it didnt go well. He got mad and frustrated at me cause "I wasnt good enough" LOL

Last night my oldest son started playing "Smoke on the Water" on his bass. So I picked up my guitar and started playing along with him. Reached over and added some drums to it with my keyboard. Man, was sounded great. So, my youngest son heard us and came out of his bedroom. Hopped on his drums. So, I killed the keyboard and we all played together for about thirty minutes.

It was so fun and worth evey dollar I have spent on lessons, equipment, and so forth.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

That's great :D Glad you were able to have some fun with the family

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

That's great. Your very own band on demand. :lol:

Is this the start of a regular thing or is it likely to be a one off? Would be great if it happened regularly.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's great. Your very own band on demand. :lol:

Is this the start of a regular thing or is it likely to be a one off? Would be great if it happened regularly.

8)

man I sure hope its regular. The bass player is excited about practice cause he just started. But my drummer boy is a little toasted after three years and he doesnt enjoy practice. So this might give them a chance to play (not realizing that its practice too) and improve. Plus, it gives the old man a chance to work ok some things that I dont normally get too.

My kids arent much into sports where as I am. So they dont get excited about throwing the ball around. We've needed something like this to pull us together now and then. Get away from that CURSED XBox :)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

What a great way to spend some quality time together.

My eldest has just taken up the bass and my youngest has a guitar too. We just haven't got it together yet. Everyone seems too busy. I'm sure we'll jam some day.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That's a great story Jim. I wish my parents had played, so that when I was growing up I could jam with them. Unfortunately however, they only play the stereo.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like alot of fun Jim! 8) I jam with my son from time to time too. He's 11 & plays guitar also. That's my idea of family fun night! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go geoo, that's one of the mainreasons I took guitar up was to play with my daughter who writes/sings and plays guitar, plus my other daughter sings too. I hoped we'd get togther to jam but it hasn't happened.

A couple reasons, my daughter only wants to play her music which i don't know and since she plays by ear it would take awhile for me to figure out what she's actully playing.

But I still have hope we're gonna do this someday. I've tried to persuade her to do something more with her music cuz sha has a really good voice and can play pretty well.

Just enjoy the moment and hope it happens again but don't push to much. A buddy of mine at work who's a drummer is going through the same thing with his kids, they are around 11 - 13 and one is a drummer and one is a sax player and he's been trying to get them to jam for months and it's been tought cuz one of them is a little burnt out too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

is a little burnt out too.

Whats funny is that the burnt out one, in my case, got really upset when brother and I got tired. He got mad and said "WHAT? We cant quit now, we gotta get better!" LOL Same kid that insulted me a year ago. I suspect he'll be a studio musician someday. LOL

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

geoo wrote: Whats funny is that the burnt out one, in my case, got really upset when brother and I got tired. He got mad and said "WHAT? We cant quit now, we gotta get better!"

:lol: Cute!

Sounds like a great time, with hopefully more of the same in the future.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

"Sorry, dad, can't play now, I've got a gig tonight" :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

and the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon....

hah. you should've kept playing.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

That's cool stuff Geoo!

"A family that plays together stays together!" Or is that "prays"? :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like fun. My son and I play together about once a week. Good times.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3