Notifications
Clear all

Guitar face believers......?

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

How timely...I'm watching the 2004 Crossroads Festival DVD on one monitor while browsing the forums on the other, and Joe Walsh is playing (on what honestly looks like an $89 Squier Bullet) with James Taylor right now.

If you've never actually seen Joe Walsh play, you're really missing out on some great Guitar Face. I'm pretty sure he couldn't play at all if you put a bag over his head.

I'm a pretty stoic campfire strummy-type guy, but my son (who is already a better player than I'll probably ever be) was doing a pretty good facsimile of Jimmy Page's duckface before he'd ever even seen JP play. It really throws him off when we call attention to it - which we don't do anymore - because it makes him suddenly self-conscious. He never even realized he was doing anything with his face until we mentioned it to him. It's just a part of some players. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Carlos Santana - at times he looks as if he's in absolute agony, the faces he pulls! But the music.....brings a big smile to my face!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I understand the OP 100% here.

I consider myself a happy optimistic guy, but the amount of times people have asked me "what's wrong with you tonight?", after a gig is unreal.

I am also somebody who has no stage presence at all. I look at my fretboard, play my stuff (and really enjoy myself), but outwardly look like the stage is the last place I want to be.

I do loosen up when I play on my own, but I would never try to force that into a live gig. I believe doing what is natural is best, and I leave the showmanship to those in the band who can do it :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member

I shudder to think of what I must look like... so instead I will distract myself with this video, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHk7c5aUXVs The pertinent parts start around 1:14 or so.
One of the guitar faces that has always baffled me is Mark Knopfler in the video for Sultans of Swing. One of the more impressive guitar pieces and he looks positively BORED!

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've only got one thing to say about this ridiculous post!

:oops:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Joe Walsh is playing (on what honestly looks like an $89 Squier Bullet) with James Taylor right now.

If you've never actually seen Joe Walsh play, you're really missing out on some great Guitar Face.

It's this show, isn't it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKw-NpEQOZo (Joe wanders in after a minute or so)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Carlos Santana - at times he looks as if he's in absolute agony, the faces he pulls! But the music.....brings a big smile to my face!

:D :D :D

Vic
+1 to that Vic! My wife and I saw him in concert (on the Supernatural tour) and he was awesome. He did however turn his back to the crowd quite a bit also. At times he seemed to be more about entertaining the band than the crowd, but it was still a great show.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

It's this show, isn't it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKw-NpEQOZo (Joe wanders in after a minute or so)
Aye, that's exactly the one. :) I'd actually like to know what kind of guitar he's playing...I'm sure it's not really a Bullet. Can't get a good enough look at the headstock even on the DVD. Looks like a custom Strat with a (possibly) single mini-bucker at the bridge.

These are the questions that plague mankind. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm not a "guitar face" guy either. I just make odd spasmodic head movements and drool . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a "guitar face" guy either. I just make odd spasmodic head movements and drool . . .

same here. we have the same medication? :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Shamefully...yep, I gotta confess to the occasional drooling. With three boys (22/20/18) I REALLY get to drooling when they bring a different set of bunnies by! :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

Happens when I play the blues and I've seen it happen to many blues players (watch BB sometime on youtube) I think its the feeling and the emotion. Another example is James Blunt when he doing the Good Bye My Friend peice. Just watch his emotions carry him away while hes singing. He almost cries

My problem is tongue biting. I have to break myself of that

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Cat I had to laugh I have 3 dughters a bit older than your sons and I've drooled over a few of their friends...Ha :lol:

But back to the topic. I can go either way, most of the time I don't make any faces but there are times when I do mostly a conscious thing though, when I want to play rock star.

Funny though I do stick out my tongue like Micheal Jordan when I make a layup playing basketball and that's totally subconscious I never think I do it but I know I am.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@brian-krashpad)
Eminent Member

I'm a believer.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

That is all :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3