Clear all

Guitar Pro 5 - Is it worth it?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've used GP 3 and now I see version 5 is out with Realistic Sound Engine that's supposed to make the instruments sound "real" instead of all "midi-computery". The site gives you samples of RSE and it sounds great. You can download a trial version but it doesn't let you ply RSE. Has anyone paid for and downloaded GP5 and found tabs with RSE? Are they few and far between or are all of them RSE enabled? Does it sound as good as the site claims it does? Thanks

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

The RSE works for any file that you open - you can even import powertab files and the RSE still plays. It sounds incredible compared to the midi sounds you get with powertab (I don't know how GP3 sounds). Check my sig for the best price on the net for GP5.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You can compare it to VST instruments or Creative's Vienna soundfonts: it uses MIDI as input and processes it in a more advanced way. If you love playing covers of others then I think GP5 will be well worth the money. DOn't forget that RSE can take a big impact on your system stability, or so I've heared. I personally don't have any need for it, for what that's worth.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have GP5 and I've not had any stability problems at all and I don't have the fastest machine on Earth, by any stretch of the imagination. I like the ability to enter in either standard notation or tab.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard: on a dutch forum people where complaining about stuttering sounds when using a large ammount of instruments and onboard soundcards. Again, I have no personal experience and it's very much possible other factors were responsible for it.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

"onboard soundcards", that says a lot. They are the most basic of animals in the sound world, they would stutter with any program that put any load on them. I think it's also true to say that people, who won't fork out for a decent sound card, are unlikely to pay for a lot of memory, either.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

yes and no.

Yes if you REALLY wanna hear more realistic sounds from midi file (do you need to?) or more likely if you wanna use em as pretty reasonable backing tracks.

No if you arent gonna use em as backing ever, or dont care about better sounds.

The RSE is very impressive for a computer program - but some guitar parts sound better than others.

ReplyQuote