Clear all

Guitar techniques to learn.

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, im tryin to build a comprehensive list of as many techniques on the guitar, so i can go through at least most of them methodically and spend time practicing them

so far i have:

Picking techniques,

Alternate picking,
Hybrid,
finger,
sweep,
chick'n pick'n
palm mute

Harmonics

natural,
artificial,
Pinch,

Misc

fret tapping,
vibrato,
slide (as in bottle neck)

im sure theres more but i cant think of them right now...
any help would be great.

This signature is a forgery.

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

finger picking should be subdivided... rhyming off a few types of finger picking:

Alternating (between I and m). tremelo, travis picking, etc.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

see, i express my ignorance, can you explain these different techniques, i can guess at tremelo (like on a bass right?), and alternate seems sensible enough but i dont know bout travis picking.

could you link to a lesson or something?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

tremelo picking is very fast picking. The best example I can think of is in Eruption. Theres a part that is just like 4 notes, but eddie plays them very fast, it's all on the high E string. 12, 16, 19, 17, 16, 17, 14,16,12,14. But he plays each note I think three times or 4 times maybe, very quickly. If you have the song you should be able to hear it.

Edit: On your list, I'd say vibrato followed by alternate picking is the most important. Vibrato adds a measure of feeling that is very important.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

There's also legato, and you could subdivide that into pull-offs and hammer-ons.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Vibrato can be subdivided:

Classical Vibrato
Rock Vibrato
Circular Vibrato

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget:
String bending
String skipping
Double stops
Alternating bass strum

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Just about any of those techniques can be subdivided. Bends can be single string, two string, oblique... choked, released, reciprocating (up & down & up & down)... even something like tapped harmonics has different approaches - Hedges does it differently from Van Halen, etc.

You'll never come up with a complete list, because variations happen all the time. Heck, I was just rehearsing some stuff for a solo gig this weekend, and I came up with a new 8-finger percussive tapping thing that I may try out :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

You don't have to know every technique under the sun, it all depends on style really: blues and rock players should be experts at bending, sliding, legato and alternate picking, but sweep picking and fingerpicking are less important. Whereas Classical players would concentrate on fingerpicking, legato and Metal players might concentrate on sweep picking and legato.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The big one I would say would be that any technique you develop, you develop fully. Try as many variations as possible, do a drill ascending and descending, on all strings, really work up that finger agility!

If you always fall back on the same exact feel with your techniques, your playing will feel stale pretty quickly, and you won't fit into a lot of musical situations. Sometimes the music calls for a large, slow vibrato, sometimes it calls for a quick, small vibrato. Listen for which one you need, and develop competence in both!

Remember, it's all about the music, learn accordingly. 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i know about tremelo strumming with a pick, wasnt sure with finger picking....

the thing with me is im interested in most styles of music. what i was intending to do was spend a month learning individual techniques technique (unless i dont quite grasp it in which case 2 months).

Thanks for the help guys, i have a nice list to begin working on now :D

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Theres always the whammy bar too!

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote