Clear all

help need an amp

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricguitars/AES920/keyfeatures.jsp

im about to buy this new guitar, i have preaviously just owned a bad peavy starter set with one of those sketchy peavy amps, i want to buy a new amp? what is a good qaulity inexpensive not too big amp i should look for?

thanks guys

$MAX$

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Icould help you out alot more if you give me some specifics such as:

budget

with or w/o tubes

Digital effects?

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

no effects....because it adds price and i have lotsa pedals and stuff.....price under-300$ canadian and no tubes...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

no effects....because it adds price and i have lotsa pedals and stuff.....price under-300$ canadian and no tubes...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You won't find much amps without tubes or effects. I suggest you take a look at the Vox AD30Vt and Roland Cube30, the two best amps in your range IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Arjen' right

The Vox AD30vt is the best amp you can basically buy in your price range, it's got tubes and, from what Ive heard, very good digital effects. If you have alot of pedals, you don't have to use the built in effects, and it's a great 30watt amp.

All for $270 US which shouldn't be that much more canadian.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I suggest you take a look at the Vox AD30Vt .

I second that suggestion. I have it, I use it most of the time without any effects (so far). You can still use the different amp models.

The going price seems to be $239 US, both online and at most big shops. The nice thing about the 30W version (AD 30VT) as opposed to the 15W version (AD15Vt) is that it has a variable "power control" in the back, and you can essentially set it at 15W at home, but have extra power available if you need for small gigs and such. And it's only $50 or so more than the 15W version.

The only thing I wish it had is a "gig along" input...

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Deeply envious of the guitar you're about to buy..... :wink:

I'd at least try out the Vox AD30VT. I've been very happy with mine. I don't really use the effects at the moment, but it's nice to know that I can use them later if I want to. I imagine that the added cost of having them in the circuitry would be very small, so I don't feel I have to use everything on the amp to get my money's worth.

It seems like a good versatile amp for the money - even though the price in Australia was a lot higher than people are quoting in the US.

Once you have the guitar it might be worth trying it through a few different amps to see how you feel about ones that are currently not on your list, or are even still a bit out of your price range. I've heard that 'good guitar + mediocre amp' still equals mediocre sound.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Maybe Arjen knows what the difference is but there is also the Vox VR 30R, which was Can$300 at Long and Mcquade. No effects seems to be the main difference I see.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I have the Vox, it's wonderful and versatile and I highly recommend it. You might also wanna check out the Marshall MG series, particularly the MG30. It's solid state (no tubes) it has effects (good ones) and it sounds good. Clean tones and nice fuzzy overdrive tones. I almost bought it, but the Vox won. The Marshall has been designated my next amp purchase, prolly in like 10 years cos im poor. I also want an Epiphone Valve Junior. but yes...Vox!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The VR is a new series based on the AD series. The effects are removed, btu so are the modeling channels. Instead you get three 'analog' channels (clean, drive, more drive), with the latter being little more then a slightly boosted version of the drive channel. Certainly an option, but I simply hate the fact that they gave you a two-band EQ, which the last two channels sharing the same EQ. You're going to need a pedal for sure with that one I bet.

I have *not* tried this one, as they ain't availlable in Holland yet. If they are around there check them out as well.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

I'd also check out the Drive amps. They're new in Canada and sound pretty good for their price. They have a wide range. Check out http://www.audionova.ca

ReplyQuote