Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Won't Stay in Tune

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fizurp)
Topic starter  

I'm pretty sure this forum is for electric guitars, but as I'm not having any luck anywhere else I thought I'd ask anyways.. I have a takamine acoustic (old one, not made anymore) and today suddenly the strings wouldn't hold tension anymore. I couldn't tune it fast enough to keep them all in tune.. It was as if the neck was slowly bending outward or something (Although nothing was bending or bent that I could see about the neck.) The guitar has ALWAYS held it's tune suprisingly well. As long as the temperature is consistent, it's gone for months without being played and only minor adjustments (2-3hz, or Khz, or whatever) to bring it back into tune.

I was practicing, just strumming lightly with my hand earlier today and everything was fine, then all the sudden this happened...

Anybody have any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help..

Thanks again.. -f|z

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

how old are the strings? old strings cannot retain tension.

check to be sure any screw or screws on the tuning pegs are tight. if the tuner is solid it may loosen while playing and the string detune.

lastly, make sure the pegs are inserted well on the bridge. if the peg is not tight it can lift and loosen the string while playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Did it just start out of the blue, or is its something that's been getting worse and worse? Has the guitar been dropped? When you bring them up to tune, do you see the top move a large amount? Neck, or bridge pulling away from the body? Next.... is it all the strings, or just one or two? Do the tuning pegs turn smoothly, or notchy

First I would retune, and look closely for any major movements of the guitar. Make sure the bridge pins are staying down as was said. No cracks opening up. Slap some new strings on her and see how it goes then.

Paul B

ReplyQuote