Guitarport Questions

29 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, GAS has gotten the better of me again and I am planning on purchasing a Guitarport this week. I know there are some other choices out there but really the Guitarport will work perfectly me for my purposes as I am just wanting something to help me easily get sound from my Ovation, into my computer.

But I was wondering, there shouldnt really be any reason why I couldnt plug my microphone into it and record voice as well, is there? Reason is that my I have no line in on this silly laptop and the microphone plug in is not working. I have checked for mutes and such and the stupid thing just wont work. So I though that I might be able to just plug it in to the Guitarport and record via the USB on that thing.. Yes, no, maybe.. why?? LOL

Thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@Anonymous)

geoo you will need a line in in order for the guitar port to work. The USB is just so it can communicate with your computer and the Guitar POrt Browser. The sound will still need to get to your sound card via the line in...

You can get inexpensive PCI Card sound cards from NewEgg.com...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

geoo you will need a line in in order for the guitar port to work. The USB is just so it can communicate with your computer and the Guitar POrt Browser. The sound will still need to get to your sound card via the line in...

You can get inexpensive PCI Card sound cards from NewEgg.com...

DOH!! Thats bad news. I thought that it just operated off the USB. Its a laptop. Cant stick a PCI card in it... Well, now what to do.

Thanks a ton for the info

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It depends on how much you want to spend.

With my set up, I bought the M-Audio MobilePre USB audio interface.

All in all, you need an audio interface that by-passes your soundcard i.e. USB or otherwise. Anytime you by-pass your soundcard (recording wise), it is a good thing.

Again, how much do you want to spend?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Tracker, thanks for the link. Well, I am willing at the moment to spend between 100 and 150 dollars. I am ignorant at all this though, so what does this thing do for me cause I dont understand.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

DOH!! Thats bad news. I thought that it just operated off the USB. Its a laptop. Cant stick a PCI card in it... Well, now what to do.

Thanks a ton for the info

Geoo

OPPS! :oops: I meant a PCMCIA card with a line in...every laptop has the PCMCIA slot.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

All in all, you need an audio interface that by-passes your soundcard i.e. USB or otherwise. Anytime you by-pass your soundcard (recording wise), it is a good thing.

If you want to go that route then THIS works great gfrom what I hear.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

HERE is a PCMCIA Sound Card that would work with Guitar POrt..

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

To make a long story short, if you want vocals from a condenser mic (vocal mic) you need phantom power (power supply for the mic). The MobilePre has 2 of them.

If you want instrument lines in with line level controls. The MobilePre has 2 of them.

With this unit, there is not an extremely high demand for a mixer because it has most of that type of control minus the EQ. A mixer is ideal, but if you're on a budget…… you can get by with this with very good recording quality.

The best part is, it by-passes the soundcard via USB. The only down side is you have to hook it up directly to your USB slot. You can't use a hub because of lack of power.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Would this replace the guitarport in my case, since I dont care about the guitar port effects?

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Would this replace the guitarport in my case, since I dont care about the guitar port effects?

Geoo

Well you would need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapted for your guitar but yes it would work. I believe this was all addressed in the "Recording to Computer" thread (I believe it's still on the first page of either the Beginners or players discussion section).

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yes, it will work. It's the baby brother to the MobilePre. If you want some “expandability” for possible future needs, I would spend the extra 50 bucks for the MobilePre. Besides, the reviews for the Fast Track have been less than stellar.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OOPPPSS!! Forget what I just said in my last post! I thought you were talking about the sound card for laptops...

Tracker is right...this is the baby brother of the one he mentioned.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes, it will work. It's the baby brother to the MobilePre. If you want some “expandability” for possible future needs, I would spend the extra 50 bucks for the MobilePre. Besides, the reviews for the Fast Track have been less than stellar.

Well, actually I was thinking you and Mike were talking about the same unit. But I think that this is gonna work great for me. Gonna call GC tomorrow and see if they stock them, if not I'll get from MF.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I purchased mine from GC for $120 (30 bucks off). Of course, I spend quite-a-bit of money there and deal with one person exclusively.

So yes, they do stock them. Just go into the recording/sound area of the store and ask for the M-Audio MobilePre.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2