guitars and humidity

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi all,
I may be going to the caribbean for a little while in the fall. Just wondering how the humidity and such will affect my guitar and if there are any precautions to take when taking my guitar down there?
Thanks all
cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

When travelling, they say it's a good idea to de-tune your guitar quite a bit, that way extra pressure or rough handling won't cause the neck extra strain or to be broken.

Another good idea is to keep it in it's case as much as possible... then again, i've taken my guitar from the outside weather (which is around 100 degrees fahrenheit) to my guitar teacher's house (air conditioned, so much cooler), and the most that's happened is the tuning went out of whack. But I'd keep it in it's case at least until you get to where you are going to be staying, just to be safe.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just make sure you keep it in your gig bag all time.A hard case would be preferred.You can also dehumidify your guitar , by keeping a moist sponge in a plastic bad in your gig bag or the case.

Happy travelling (I think carrabian is pretty cooooool :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can also dehumidify your guitar, by keeping a moist sponge in a plastic bad in your gig bag or the case.That won't dehumidify it. That's a homemade humidifier. Don't need that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

If I remember correctly, one of my friends bought a dehumidify for his guitar... i'm sure you could pick one up at a music store or something.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Cheap humidifier - put some rice grains (uncooked!) into a cotton bag (or any cloth made of natural fibre). Throw the rice away (or cook it) when it becomes moist

Salt will work just as well as rice (not for eating, though)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

http://www.classicalguitarbuilder.com/march_news/March_Newsletter.html

I think it really depends on what type of guitar you're using. Classical/accoustic guitars will probably be most affected by this.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote