singing while playing

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been trying very hard to improve my singing while playing. I signed out some instructional material from the library and away I went.

When I play a song like Norweigan wood I have no problem singing in key. When I choose a song with straight stumming I have a big problem and usually can't get quite the right notes.

The reason for being able to sing Norweigan wood is that the song is actually sung with notes matching the melody notes from the guitar which are single picks. So I always have a ready made reference to match my voice.

When strumming a simple chord progression I find I am unable to keep in key. I will use knocking on heaven's door for example (Avril Lavigne version)
C G Dm I am unable to get the right sound from my voice even thought I know I can sing in this key. Now when I am singing should I be singing a C note while playing this chord and a G with a G etc? I find this very difficult because of the multiple notes in each chord.

So far I have been practicing hitting notes with my voice by playing scales on my guitar as a reference. Should I try to do the same with chords although I can't imagine how.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Max

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, your first problem is that you're listening to avril lavigne.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hah-hah

Try this on for size: If I Only Had (Another) Brain

Anytime either rhythm or melody is syncopated against the other, it is tough.

Slow it down to one strum at a time and stick the notes in. Speed up gradually.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

well, your first problem is that you're listening to avril lavigne.
:lol: +1..

First you have to get thye music down so much that you can easily talk and think while playing, and then start singing. It worked for me...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well one of the reasons I chose Avril's knocking on heave's door is that I can play it in my sleep. It takes basically no concentration.

I have read that article before but I think I missed one tidbit. Ill try to strum it slower and see if I can get on key.

Thanks for your help

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

actually learning to play it and getting it down first often works against you.

It's usually better to learn both at once, that way as you learn to play it faster and faster the words are already associated with the finger movements.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

This is of no help to the poster, but...

The fact that Avril Lavigne covered Knockin On Heaven's Door is a sacrilege. Hasn't she any dignity? :shock:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

This is of no help to the poster, but...

The fact that Avril Lavigne covered Knockin On Heaven's Door is a sacrilege. Hasn't she any dignity? :shock:
Only the best for the queen of punk. I'm sure that also makes her queen of folk rock, right? If only her voice was as nice as Dylan's...

~Sam

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol. I had no idea Dylan's voice was considered "nice" by anyone.
It's usually better to learn both at once, that way as you learn to play it faster and faster the words are already associated with the finger movements.

I had no idea about this Nick, it makes a lot of sense though, and that'll be a big help, thanks a bunch.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

lol. I had no idea Dylan's voice was considered "nice" by anyone.

I had no idea about this Nick, it makes a lot of sense though, and that'll be a big help, thanks a bunch.
That's the joke. I should use brackets or something when i want to indicate dripping sarcasm.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Haha, gotta love the inability to detect tone that I have.

I do love Dylan's voice, even if I don't consider it nice.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

(sorry to divert this topic)
I also like Dylan's voice. It's not a "good" voice, but it's probably the most distinctive voice in the history of music, and it works. Can you imagine Paul McCartney singing "Like A Rolling Stone"?

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dylan no longer has a voice, he mumbles and croaks....but I still thought he was great on July 4th....

And as for Avril Lavigne covering "Heaven's Door", as least she kept the original title...Gabrielle had the cheek to steal the music, add different lyrics and call it "Rise"....

Anyway, back to singing and playing, if you can play aong with something on CD, shouldn't be any reason you can't sing along with it as well....then try playing AND singing along....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have been trying to play and sing along with CD's for various songs and I am usually close but no potatoes. I imagine with enough practice it will come.

thanks for all of the responses

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

If you have the ability to record, you might try recording the melody line and then practice your rhythm over that. It might help you to be able to keep the melody audible without actually playing over a recording of the original artist.

ReplyQuote