Clear all

hairband

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i recently saw on a licklibrary dvd the instructor using a hairband over the strings to mute when using high distortion. i was just wondering is this normal practice, or if i pulled a hairband over the strings at a gig would any guitarist watching think it was poor practice?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's not really about distortion so much as high gain (which is one way to get distortion!). Using a rubber band or elastic pony-tail holder lightly over the strings near the nut does do a great job of muting open strings whose slightest ringing or noise a high gain set-up can turn into a monster nastiness. Is it a cop out? Some will see it that way; but even experienced players have been known to use the technique for that occasional tune for which there seems be no other way to quiet open string demons by the usual palm and finger muting. So if it makes a particular tune work for you, then why not? But don't turn it into a crutch that will keep you from learn to mute specific strings with your hands and fingers -- this is a very important playing skill.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Victor Wooten does it.
He uses it right at the nut as a light mute, but he also plays around with it, sometimes sliding it to a harmonic for an interesting effect

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

if it makes a particular tune work for you, then why not? But don't turn it into a crutch that will keep you from learn to mute specific strings with your hands and fingers -- this is a very important playing skill.

Absolutely.

I'd probably only use the hairband as a last resort, if you really can't keep the strings muted for a certain effect or difficult song. Any time you can learn to play something difficult without a gimmick you'll be glad you did in the end.

Then again, one of the beautiful things about music is that it doesn't have any rules, and you can really do anything you want, regardless of what others think or say.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Victor Wooten does it.
He uses it right at the nut as a light mute, but he also plays around with it, sometimes sliding it to a harmonic for an interesting effect

In terms of special effects, it's probably got more potential for use on a bass than "normal or Spanish" guitar, as it tends to affect low mass (treble) strings far more than high mass (bass) strings. Using it to affect string modes (nodes/hamonics) def seems like an interesting possibility.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I thought this was about 80's metal A.K.A. Hair Bands :lol: It does however make me think of seeing Ted Nugent this summer playing Strangle Hold. No hair band on the guitar, but totally mastering distortion and feedback on that song. No hairband for Uncle Ted, no hairband for TR. 8) Non guitarist get off on that song, but as a guitarist watching the mastery, well, it makes you appreciate the talent.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I thought this was about 80's metal A.K.A. Hair Bands :lol:
Haha, me too!
I've never seen anyone use a hairband or rubber band for distortion. Interesting idea.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Haha, me too!
I've never seen anyone use a hairband or rubber band for distortion. Interesting idea.

looks as if your new avatar might be sporting a hairband -- can't see with that Tele in the way :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Haha, me too!

looks as if your new avatar might be sporting a hairband -- can't see with that Tele in the way :wink:
Actually the Tele strap is the hairband. It's the latest rage in hair accessories. Kinda heavy though so you have to hold on to it with both hands. :mrgreen:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Actually the Tele strap is the hairband. It's the latest rage in hair accessories. Kinda heavy though so you have to hold on to it with both hands. :mrgreen:

very cooool!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Jennifer Batten uses a string damper unit. I have seen other pros using them as standard practice as well. If I thought it would benefit my playing, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

http://lorinator.feminoise.com/guitarist-interviews-jennifer-batten/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Does Jennifer Batten use it only for high gain guitar or synth (midi) guitar or both? I can see a real advantage using it for a synth system, as even the tiniest erroneous string noise -- scrape, slight tone, sympathetic vibration -- can trigger an avalanche of patch tones. Some of them can be painfully high in frequency as well as volume.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Does Jennifer Batten use it only for high gain guitar or synth (midi) guitar or both? I can see a real advantage using it for a synth system, as even the tiniest erroneous string noise -- scrape, slight tone, sympathetic vibration -- can trigger an avalanche of patch tones. Some of them can be painfully high in frequency as well as volume. I can't say for certain, but I am under the impression that she uses it for the majority of her playing. She didn't have one on the neck in some of the Michael Jackson vids I watched, but I have read on her website & in interviews that she makes use of it much of the time.

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

:lol: :lol: I thought this post was about these guys-lol hairband--ha--get it

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Very nice looking 'girls'.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2