Hangin it up

20 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks for all the good advice.
The bottom line was that I didn't have the mental resources to devote my energy to the guitar and to insane work demands as well. Both were suffering as a result. Rather than burn our with the guitar I stepped back to recoupe my energies and refocus.

Narn that stood out to me. I would'nt call my work demands insane but i think it's important to get an arrangement of priorities again -for me.

Wes you mentioned something that i'm struggling with Quiting. I don't want to quit.What i will do is take a break from it all. maybe fill that time with writing stuff of some sort lyrics perhaps, i've never really tried it maybe now's a good time.

Demo were you doing a bit of reverse Psychology ?
don't even listen to any music when you said that i knew i could'nt do that. Kinda like 40 days and 40 nights.

But if taking a break is what i need - and i think i do - then so be it.

Thanks Again to all
Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

This has happened to me, and I keep my gear out so after a break I will find myself going back to it again, I also listened to music and got very into the song and words, when playing guitar to it you don't listen so much to the words anymore but more guitar parts, so what I do every friday night is devote half the night to playing guitar, then I spend the rest of the night just listening to all kinds of songs and how they relate to my life I will even sing along this brings back that love for the true meaning of a song and what it relates to in my life, So for me by splitting my night up I get the feel for playing music, and then just singing and listening to it, I know I will never master the guitar but it sure feels good to play along when I can, it just feels good to have more of a connection with music with my guitar. One thing I have noticed with people who play music they have very strong feelings and use music to express them, Sorry to say but I think alot of players drink to help feel more of something that they feel inside which can be ok, but alot of them will drink to much and then they pass out or get into trouble in a negative way which is not good but they are still expressing some feeling inside of them.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

But if taking a break is what i need - and i think i do - then so be it.

I think taking a break is a great idea, and try to figure out the reason why you picked up a guitar in the first place and why you kept playing. I kind of had a revelation a while ago when I realised that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life playing my guitar alone in my room, focusing completely on scales and speed techniques (which was what I forced myself to do 24/7). I realised that I want to perform for people and really say something with music (whether it be covers or original songs). That's not to say that scales and speed exercises aren't useful, it's just that I was doing it at such a level of extremity that guitar became more like a job then a passion.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@freestringer)

hello, welcome everybody. this is my first post to the forum. I have come back to guitar from having hung it up. i have gotten decent ability on the basic techniques of chord and strumming. i can play some songs sort of ok. but my brother and cousin, both younger, were much more dedicated then me, more passionate, and both got to be pretty good. now i am in thailand with nothing to do, so i purchased a guitar. Like someone said above, it's about setting goals, but they can be discouraging if you reach too far too fast. That said, i would like to get really good... i would, but i don't know yet, can't say for sure whether i am willing to pay the full cost. But there are two other people, guys, who have a guitar and are about where i am at. they are much older. We could practice together. Mostly i want to discover more about each unique guitar playing style, then maybe create or find my own unique one, to perform.

guitar can be fun. I don't see myself ever becoming obsessed with it, like clapton, like john mayer and santana and those people. i just saw a program on video with john mayer talkign about all these master guitar players coming together, like clapton and others, and all being blown away by seeing the other. THe one common thread, mayer said, was their dedication.. "these are not weekend players"

I want to be "solid" with some good cover songs i can play, and some of my own to have written. To be able to hold my own in some solo performances in average bars.. the kind which would make jimmy buffett proud. That's how i see myself, a bit. so i am back in guitar, the reverse of minus human. as oasis says, hello

carpe diem baby

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I too have returned from the inactive list . After my first wife left me , I went through a period of time where all the things I ever did for enjoyment just didn't seem to be fun anymore . I would still pull out my acoustic and play now and then but I would quickly lose interest and put it back in its case . My Les Paul didn't see the light of day for 6 years . It was a real down period in my life . I am glad to say that I am now actively playing again and enjoying it as much as ever . Music was always a part of my life from as far back as I can remember and I have rediscovered the joy of making it myself . So , keep your chin up and maybe you too will in time find yourself holding your guitar and remembering the magic that drew you to it in the first place . I hope that you can !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2