Skip to content
Have you met your g...

Notifications
Clear all

Have you met your guitar goals for the year?

28 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I'm going to buy the book Blues You Can Use and work my way through that next year.

On top of that, I'd hope to get a new guitar and amp within the next year.

I might even think about getting some new pedals and/or a guitar teacher. But that'll only be if I have £100 spare really.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I didn't achieve my goals. I spent a lot of time with my rotating lineup of gear, but didn't really improve to the extent I would have liked. I definitely improved, but not enough.

One goal for 2007 is to participate in an online jam here.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member

I reached nearly none of my goals. I did archieve things I wasn't at all planning. Guess the beatles were right: life's what happens when you're making other plans.

Same as this man here. I planned on being able to do certain things or playing in certain ways but my complete style has changed, for the better, and im glad it did.

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

by far i learned the most and improved the most this year

of course this is actually the first year where i got serious and started playing a lot.

i want to be really good like 4 years down the road so hopefully when summer comes and i am done with school forever i can just work and play guitar and get as good as i want to be

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Like Chris, my only REAL goal is to be playing at the end of the year. But I think I said that I would like to be able to play 10 Christmas songs. I know about 4 or 5 by heart, but I did learn well over 10 songs this year so I feel pretty successful.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I started classes in Sept and finished Nov., I can play six songs (but only 3 without looking at my songbook) am now working on City of New Orleans by Arlo.

I love Arlo's version, but as the Chicago people will tell you, the late Steve Goodman wrote it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

was really close to my goal of having a working home studio when a recent lightning strike fried my main rig. now i'm hoping i don't have to replace everything and start over :cry:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hard one to answer - been a stop/go kind of year in many ways, but I think my guitar playing has improved - I've got a little more speed, and I've started using different chords and voicings and incorporating them into my songs. I know my bass playing has improved a lot, I'm not just relying on root notes any more. I think my songwriting's improved - I'm finding it a lot easier these days to come up with something for the SSG.

The trouble with guitar, though, the more you learn, the more you realise there still is to learn....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, I got my Classical Guitar Grade 5 in the Spring, which was on the wishlist, I got my Music Theory Grade 5 in the Summer, and I've just passed my Classical Guitar Grade 6, so everything on that side of things has been most definitely achieved.

I've written a couple of songs, managed to finish recording one, and added some multi-FX boxes and some stompboxes to my frontline, so I reckon I've got everything done I could have wanted to this year.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

been a stop/go kind of year in many ways,

Bit of an understatement, that.:lol:
I don't know if I could go again after some of the stops you had.

I didn't really have any stated goals, but I'll call my accomplishments goals, to make myself feel better.

-I stuck with it.
-My sticking with it motivated my (soon to be 6 years old) son to stick with learning piano.
-We can play a song together (So what if it's Jingle Bells. It's a song!)
-I'm not embarrassed any more to pick up a guitar in a store and play a bit. Even if someone can hear.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Short answer:

I'm better than I was a year ago and I'm still playing and enjoying it, so yes, I met my guitar goals.

Long answer:

I didn't get a full song wrote. -- But I did get several parts of songs done. I made huge improvements on my playing style.

I still don't know any songs from beginning to end. -- Never been a huge goal of mine, but I would like to learn at least a few. I will eventually.

I still don't think I'm as good as I should be after two years of playing. -- I often noodle rather than practice. I know this slows me down, but on the other hand my technique has improved a lot which helps in other areas.

I do jam once a week with friends. -- I've learned more from these weekly jam sessions than I have in the entire time I've been playing. Look forward to it every week and get bummed if it gets canceled.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The trouble with guitar, though, the more you learn, the more you realise there still is to learn....

:D :D :D

Vic

Life in a nutshell! :D

I've always enjoyed collecting information - from books, the net, conversations, the back of packets...anywhere... :roll: and it there's always that strange effect that the more you learn the more doors it seems to open, allowing you to peer into new and mysterious rooms that you didn't even know existed before...

I'm going to have to start believing in re-incarnation. This life just isn't going to be long enough.... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm not embarrassed any more to pick up a guitar in a store and play a bit. Even if someone can hear.

Good one! :D

That's a major step. I remember the days when I used to get the salesman to play the guitar for me, because there wasn't much point in me doing it - I was so bad that my painful attempts would tell me absolutely nothing about whether the guitar itself was any good or not.

I particularly remember picking up my first electric - having been used to a nylon string guitar that had a shorter neck. I nervously put my fingers in the shape of a G chord - but one whole fret too far down the neck. :oops:

The salesman did manage not to roll his eyes, but gently pointed out that it might work better in the more traditional position. :)

Now I'm about at your stage. I don't exactly try and attract an audience, but I don't need the false beard and dark glasses any more...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2