Clear all

HELP!!!

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@brothaweed)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Please, can anybody give me any advice/direction?! I just picked up the guitar after about a 20 yr. hiatus. When I played yrs. ago I was never that good. I was pretty much self-taught and played rythm guitar and was lead singer in a band that only played cover songs. Most of the songs I learned out of "Guitar for the Practicing Musician" magazine. Anyhow, it mostly was an ego thing at the time. But now I really want to learn music. I have started taking lessons, and my teacher is teaching me the common "diatonic" chord progressions, and the main scales (ionian, myxolydian, etc), and how they appear to be on a "conveyer" belt depending on what key (?) you're in etc. I've also bought "Music Theory for Guitarists" and "Fretboard Logic". My main problem is how do I apply/embed this info to where I can understand it. A lot of the literature I delve in to, feels like I'm always missing something more basic in order to understand what I'm reading (specialy for "Music Theory for Guitarists).

The other night I watched a local band play in a local venue and they were frickin' incredible! They had one guitarist, a sax player, a fiddler, a drummer, and a bass player. These guys were doing incredible things. Playing with silence/pauses. Doing some crazy jazzy chaotic stuff than regrouping in an incredible way! How do I get there?!!!

I find myself going back to Tablature because I want to PLAY something, after feeling like some of the new info isn't sinking. Do I just need to be patient and let go, and go for the ride (with my guitar instructor and other literature?).

One more question... Should I focus on exercises for finger strength, dexterity, and/or speed? Or will that just come along by itself? How do I get from here to there... (knowing the instrument inside and out, and playing any style of music)? Should I focus on Jazz because it seems to be more complicated? What should I focus on?!!! ARGGGGHHHH!!!

Any good advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!! I know I have an ear for music. I feel like before I didnn't have the patience and or the direction. Thanks again!!!!

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

You have to be a full time student. When you listen to music, dissect it. What is the time signature. Count it out. If you can do nothing else, figure out what the main chord progression is.

When you practice, use a metronome. Practice for accuracy and speed will come. Try to figure out what you can by ear.

Sing the notes when you practice. This will train your ear as well as your brain to think in musical terms instead of positions on the fretboard.

If you can afford it, find a good teacher. One who is willing to work with your agenda to acheive your goals. That means, if you don't want to read music, he shouldn't have to force it on you. But, the excercises are essential.

Learning theory is also important and to that end, reading will be something that you will have to look into eventually. Especially if you want to venture into jazz. It may seem like some haphazard playing that jazz musicians do but I assure you they are the most calculated thinkers in music, they know when to play what and why it works.

Finally be persistant. All good things take time to acquire.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Wow - that's basically exactly how I feel at the moment.....although I am starting to see some improvement.

From my experience I think getting a guitar teacher at this stage is vital - even if you only go once a fortnight. You will get exercises that simultaneously improve your theory/knowledge as well as speed and accuracy. I find it important to mix up what you practice so you don't get bored. Do some scales, practice learning notes all over the fretboard, practice singing the notes as you play them, try it in harmony as well. Try singing the name of the note as you play it - up and down. Then just play some songs you like and work out new ones by ear, then try soloing along to a backing track...etc. I have also started doing some serious ear training (in my lunch break) - the web site http://www.teoria.com has online exercises. I'm currently doing the interval ear training ones which teach you to recognise different intervals by ear.

Also recognise that this takes time to absorb. You can't just learn a new scale in a week and expect it to be there forever. You have to keep going over everything for months, as well as using it in songs and improv until it gets embedded...

If you are already at a decent level with a good ear, I personally think a realistic timetable for serious noticeable improvement is about 6 months - providing you get a teacher and practice regularly....but the good thing is that you're probably not far off becoming a really good guitar player! Just keep with it and keep slogging out the practice even when you can't see noticeable improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@alkonacc)

:roll: hy every body well I AM new i am of argentina and well y dont speak well english but i try, why not? y have a big problem......well i have a wonderfull voice, this say my teacher but y dont want to sing because i am :oops: and y dont want yo sinf with all my partners waching me help!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@alkonacc)

hy every body well I AM new i am of argentina and well y dont speak well english but i try, why not? y have a big problem......well i have a wonderfull voice, this say my teacher but y dont want to sing because i am :oops: and y dont want yo sinf with all my partners waching me help!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Maybe you can sing while looking the other way? I read somewhere that Eddie Van Halen used to play with his back to the audience because he was shy...

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Never turn your back to an audience - a tip from my Junior School drama teacher.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote