Clear all

Help and advice

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My son recently broke my Takamine GS330S acoustic guitar which I would like to replace. I paid $300 for this new. I mainly play Pink Floyd, Zepplin, and some modern stuff. Is there another guitar in this price range that someone could recommend or am I better off replacing the Takamine which sounded good.

Greg

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I hate to ask this...but how did you son break it :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really do not know exactly. It was on the stand in my bedroom next thing I knew it was on the floor an the sound hole was cracked and pushed in.

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How would you rate the Seagull S6 compared to the Takamine GS330S?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I really do not know exactly. It was on the stand in my bedroom next thing I knew it was on the floor an the sound hole was cracked and pushed in.
Don't throw it away unless you want to throw it my way. It is repairable so it is worth investigating cost.

However, nothing wrong with buying another one while it is being repaired. Can't have too many guitars you know.

Try Fender, Yamaha, Washburn and Alvarez. They have some decent guitars in that price range. Actually so does Takamine. The key is try em till you find one that likes you.

Oh yeah, welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

How would you rate the Seagull S6 compared to the Takamine GS330S?

Quite comparable. A lot of people might prefer the sound of the Seagull, in fact. But you can't get Seagulls everywhere. Price range is pretty close.

In addition to Nils' fine suggestions, I'd also throw in Ibanez and Tanglewood (another one that might be hard to find depending upon where you live).

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Greg & welcome to GN!
I was going to suggest the Seagull S6 also. Mighty sweet sounding guitar. 8) If you go to their site, I beleive they have a dealer locater so you could maybe find a place near you & try them out yourself. Musicians Friend now carries them too. Might want to invest in a wall hanger also! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunetly there are not any Seagull dealers close to where I live. Has anyone heard the Takamine GS330S and the Seagull G6 side by side. The Takamine had a nice full tone clear highs and nice low tones. Is the Seagull G6 a brighter sound but, not as full?

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi Greg & welcome to GN!

Might want to invest in a wall hanger also! :wink:

Very well said dntalb :D I wonder why didn't i get that idea instead. :oops:

Between Greg why don't you tell us the exact place where you live...or indicate it in your profile so that it can be displayed.That may really help.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I shopped around today and picked up the Seagull M6 Cedar laminated top. The sound is great and I love that the nech is wider than most, easier to finger. Thank you for all of you opinions.

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I have an s6+ a/e cutaway and I have to say it is an incredible guitar. It feels more expensive than it is, it sounds more expensive than it is, it plays more expensive than it is. Sweet guitar IMO.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Congrats on your purchase, Greg. If you're into fingerstyle, you're going to love the neck and because of the first Seagull I got (a twelve string which had an unfortunate experience on an airplane), I pretty much have stayed with cedar tops instead of spruce.

Hope you and your guitar share a lot of songs together!

Peace

ReplyQuote