Help fingering "Time in a bottle"

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I starting learning this song a couple of days ago and the intro seen here is very difficult to finger. I've been playing it with a bar and that is fine until I get to the first 5 on the B string. From there it falls apart. Ive tried breaking the bar and going back to it and it just feels awkward. No matter what I do I have to break the bar and that is causing me problems.

Does anyone play this song and have a suggestion. I am considering changing the notes in a couple of places.

|----10----10----10-----9----9-----9----8----8-----8---7---7---7---6---6---6---6---6---6-|
|-10----10----10----10---10---10---10---10---10---8---8---8---8---5---6---8---6---5----|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-10-------------------9-----------------8-----------------7------------6-------------8---7---3----|

|-5-7-9-12-10-9h10p9---|
|---------------------------|
|-6/7-9-12-12-9----------|

Anyone?

Cheers,

Max

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't think it's played with barre chords. try either the thumb on the bassline, or using your fingers... or maybe you could play it in a different position. sorry i can't help more.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Brother, I tried the fingers previously and it just didn't work out.

I normally don't use my thumb to fret because I have small hands, but I gave the thumb a try and it will work.

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I learned this tune when it was new. IIRC, this tune has duel guitar parts, and the other guitar plays the bass line up an octave, so all notes are on the four highest strings. It actually sounds very nice that way. You might want to see if you can locate the tab for the second guitar part -- I actually prefer it when playing this tune solo.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I learned this song from a power tab download.
I usually play guitar 2 (i think) part. Starts on the 5th fret and works its way down.
The bass notes can be a pain, I haven't used my thumb but I do have to do some stretching to hit some of them.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

You might want to see if you can locate the tab for the second guitar part

The tab that I found said that it incorporates parts of both guitar parts. A friend recently taught me how to strum this song, which sounds very good, but I thought it would sound better picked.

The verses and chorus are played in first positon, the solo and the intro, which in the tab I have are pretty much identical, are higher up the neck as well as the outro. I haven't totally put it together yet, but I think it will play well.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote