Clear all

Put new strings , WOW.......

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hiya all , (talking of a lighter topic than the quake :wink: )

Yesterday only , while playing my classical guitar my D string snapped making a big 'pop tap' sound and the time was night - 11 pm.

Now luckily i had another pair of strings which i decided to put right then , but first it took a good half an hour to take off the strings (oh the tuners :evil: )

After doing that , i spent another half hour cleaning the guitar well and making it shine :) .

And then put the new strings in their place and what an amzing strings they were -

http://stringsandbeyond.com/gagrgeclgust.html

Well , these galli strings are just simply class.Silver plated look so beautiful and nothing to say about the tone - its wonderful.What a nice bass and strum response.The vibrations feel so nice at the back of the guitar.Feel like new injection of life been given to my poor guitar and it playing like heaven now.

Oh i am in love with this.....(now i will get nothing but galli 8) 8) )

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

get a string winder or 2. they're only a couple dollars and will save you from all that twisting.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

A set of new strings can really brighten the day. The feel and sound make everything right.

You're playing a classical so I assume that you have a slotted headstock. When restringing remember that you don't have to put ALL the excess string on the spools / posts.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I'm a fan of Savarez strings myself. Either beat the hell out d'addario though...which make good strings at a good price, but I wouldn't call them exceptional.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I had a similar experience with my acoustic guitar, I used to think that it was a terrible guitar, needed all this work: So I take it to the music store and the guy says that they can't do much with acoustic guitars and just try putting new strings on and live with it. So I did that and the guitar sounded great! I mean, the guitar's intonation is a bit out of wack, but it's really not nearly as bad as it was.

I give you alot of credit though, because just thinking about stringing my classical guitar gives me a headache :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A set of new strings can really brighten the day. The feel and sound make everything right.

You're playing a classical so I assume that you have a slotted headstock. When restringing remember that you don't have to put ALL the excess string on the spools / posts.

Michael

yes mike , i know that.I got rid of extra length of the strings but still my Dstring gives me some troubles over the nut (i m a lefty player with a righty nut , so you can guess :oops: )But i have fixed it fine and apparently no problems although i know i will get this done in some time........

Anyways i am really enjoying the guitar playing so well.It did brighten my day.
Amazing. (hey steve my guitar is very good , its a yamaha classical guitar so you can guess.But new string are making it sound like a signature segovia's guitar 8) )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well first of all i used the GN search feature and dug this post out.I really forgot when last i replaced my strings...

And now when 4 months are over (almost..) the strings really sound dead ...UGH !

I paid around 9.2 $ for new galli and the retailer didn't have savarez :oops:

But i am satisfied with that hard tension (we don't have to care about gauges and so much hibachi :lol:)

I know the date is due and i am going to pump these as farther as can ...and the day i finish the classical piece i am engaged in , the very next moment the new set comes up !

Rahul

ReplyQuote
 tmac
(@tmac)
Eminent Member

I really like Savarez as well. Used them to replace the D'Addarios that my guitar came with and am really happy. Haven't tried any others, and probably won't for a while, since I got a few sets of Savarez on sale recently.

If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.
- Audre Lorde

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Do the devils hear ?Do they have ears attached to my heart ?

Heck my D-string broke and i replaced the strings...

Now the guitar sound much better.Ok..another 4 months (hopefully) :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Do the devils hear ?Do they have ears attached to my heart ?

Not the devils but you, Rahul, have the ears. If you had to do a search to see when the last time you changed strings it was probably because YOU heard or didn't hear what you wanted to hear. That the strings needed changing was only seconded by your problematic D string.

That reminds me. Need to go out today and buy some 10's. Been playing with 9's for the longest, I think my fingers are strong enough to move up.

Give me somethign to do over the weekend.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

atleast there is no 9s or 10s in classical right ?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, only .028 (at least for my D'Addarios). I got a couple of sets of the Pro Arte Normal tension strings and a couple of the La Bella 820s (with the red treble strings) and wound up putting the La Bella's on first - mostly because I like the clear red nylon. But four sets is like a year and a half's supply of classical guitar strings for me so I'm cool for awhile. Nothing like new strings though. Especially when I opened the case one day to lay some tracks and found the D string snapped at the saddle, and no replacements. I did the normal panic thing of unwinding extra string from the peg, pulling it down and retying it on the bridge, but was lucky the track was more or less in the background anyhow.

But it makes me feel bad to have any guitar with a broken/retied string, so I placed my order.

And now I want to see if the La Bella trebles start to pit like a set of them I had years ago did. It must've been a bad batch of nylon or something and before the strings were even 3 months old (with little play), separations in the surface of the trebles started to appear; like when you pull dough apart and some places start to peel open and separate.

We'll see on this set. It's been about five years since the last La Bella's (D'Addario's since), and I hope that batch of nylon is long gone.

:)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey demoetc , i have retied my strings ( E A D ) more then once on an earlier set.But my d-string broke around the 3rd or 4th fret position.

And i am glad i changed the strings...the previous set was giving aweful sound :oops:

Btw how much you strings cost ? (that is , cost of one full set )

ReplyQuote