help: ran into problem recording keyboard

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok so heres wats happening....

i have a usb audio interface, into it i plug acoustics, electrics, sometimes running through pedals...the hole works...i decided to bring my keyboard into the mix.....ther is 3 quarter inch jacks in the back of the keyboard....the only one that works for the output im trying to do is the headphone jack, immediatly when u plug the line into the headphone jack the keyboard goes silent, therefore when i plug the other end into the usb interface and record i cant hear myself playing, it does record, and sounds perfectly fine when it plays back the trouble is, knowing wat your playing and if you made a mistake or not.....any solution to this problem?

in the back of the keyboard ther is also a midi in and out line....what type of cable do i need to convert a midi line out to a 1/4 line in or phantom in....is it even possible? (is this the solution)

thanks guys

$MAX$

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well, if you want the "right" solution -- spend a couple hundred bucks at youir local favorite pawn shop (all musicians should have a local favorite pawn shop!) and pick up:

1. mixing board with 6-10 inputs ($100-$300 depending on model and condition)
2. pair of cheap powered monitors ($50 - $500 depending on model and condition)

plug your stuff into the mixing board, run the mixer outs to the sound card and hte monitors. Viola, you can now hear what you're doing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

k...lol

on a less expensive note.....

what about bying like a 10$ 5 pin DIN midi cable and plugging it from the back of the keyboard (midi out) into the usb interface (midi In)....will the keyboards speakers work when it is plugged in and recording..?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

having the USB interface do MIDI and audio inputs at the same time will almost certainly result in latency issues on the final recording.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your saying that your recording on to a computer using a usb interface. Correct? What are you using to hear the guitars when their plugged in? Can't you use the speaker out on the sound card to monitor eveything.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

On a less expensive note: Get a basic Behringer or Phonic mixer. I got my 4mono/4stereo input mixer with FX unit for E89,-. If you don't need mics you can get a 2 mono/4 stereo mixer for 49,- or so.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

to hear the guitars with an acoustic obviously i can hear it and with the elctric its hard but...i jsut turn the speaker volume down alot
and play like its an electric unplugged....i no its not ideal....but for now it has been working fine

$MAX$

ReplyQuote