Clear all

Improv. to a solo

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everybody, I need some help here. I just did a rehersal for rock camp, with every band there, about 50 people. We got a really good response, especially on my soloing! it was extremly fun, but, since it was my first time onstage EVER, I was really really nervous, and I forgot to do the stage acts that were planned for me, like putting the guitar behind my head when I solo'ed, etc.. Anyway, I got a really good response, but, I was improvising the whole time! We're gonna record a CD next week, and I want to have the solo I do on the CD the same as when I do it at the real concert. I know youre just gonna say "remember the solo you did on the CD, and just play it" and I'm going to do that, but I want my solo to be a real solo, not just improv'ing over the D blues scale (BTW, the songs were doing so far are "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by the Clash, and "Bonzo goes to Bitburg" by the Ramones. They're just simple punk songs, because the others in my bandare pretty young, and not that experienced, so we're doing simple songs) So, if you could help me, that'd be exellent. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@shibby)
Estimable Member

Try to work up something before you record. You don't have to plan out the entire solo but, if you have an idea of what you are going for before you record it will be much easier to duplicate it later. Plus you will have the cd so if you forgot what you play just listen to your cd and it will all come back to you.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Try to work up something before you record.

Thats what I'm asking. I need some pointers on how to make a solo, not just an improv., like the pro's do, they're probably not improving..

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Something you might consider doing is every-time your playing guitar is to record it, even if your just noodling around. Then you can set back and pick out the good stuff that you didn't realized you played. it doesn't have to be a demo quality recording, just some thing like even a bombox cassette recorder. Whats good about doing that is after awhile you'll get use to being recorded all the time you won't be nervous when you get into a real recording situation and second you'll hear things you can add to your solo's.

You'll be surprised what you'll hear on those recordings, you'll be listening and hear a really cool run or lick and say did I play that.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

Jimmy Page has claimed numerous times that he winged the solo's to Stairway to Heaven and Heartbreaker...

However he also says he had them "somewhat structured." not the actual notes per say, but the structure of the solo.

i don't much about lead work. i tend to play rhythm or a bass line/melody picking style. but if yuo have to solo over 4 bars of an Am chord and then another 4 of Dm, i'd say record you playing those chords and then practice soliing ove rthem, trying different scales and whatnot.

it makes sense to me anyways...
Try to work up something before you record.

Thats what I'm asking. I need some pointers on how to make a solo, not just an improv., like the pro's do, they're probably not improving..

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you can always try to come up with a few themes beforehand, like certain effects that you want to use at certain points, or a riff that works for you, or a melodic shape, or rhythm you like, or a series of harmonies... and then put them together in a way that makes all the girlies scream.
anyway, if you're recording a cd, you'll probably have to re-record your soloes at least a half a dozen times each.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Brothertupelo, is your name related to uncle tupelo by any chance?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

yo, yoyo

A real solo doesn't have to be planned out. I think a real solo IS improvised, and I find that much more interesting than one that is planned out before hand.

However: What seems to happen for me, when I solo to certain songs lots of times : I'll end up playing basically the same stuff. Keep soloing to these songs, find stuff that works, and remember it for the next time. Work it into the solo, and then try to find something new that works. I havn't planned out one solo, but I know almost exactly what I'll be doing when I'm playing to Black Magic Woman, its almost always the same. Find several riffs that work, and get them to fit in.

Many of the great pro's solos are done live, and are improvised. They can be based around a certain structure, but they aren't written out note for note.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

They can be based around a certain structure

Alright, how do you do that? 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That's what I meant with the paragraph right above that. Just keep playing to the chords, come up with licks that work, figure out where you want to put them. And build off of that.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yes, i'm not quite a generation younger than jay and jeff.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well something that works very well is to incorpate the vocal(or otherwise) melody into your solo. When i'm writing a solo or improving most of the time I try to play something that would drop clues as to what song it is if it were played alone. If your on stage I would recommend memorizing the solo but be able to improvise if stage fright would over take you.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have played memorized solos many times but I think they are boring. They just lack feeling. So even when I did play these I would change parts of them all the time.

I think you just have to trust yourself and go with the way you feel. This is where you get those "hot" solos that will even surprise yourself.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote