Skip to content
Help! What Strings ...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! What Strings Do I Have On My MIM Tele?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm making my annual string purchase on MF right now, but I've hit a snag. I can't remember what I use on the Tele. How embarassing. :oops:

I bought extra sets of strings when I bought my Tele. They were Fenders of some sort. They are black(ish) instead of shiney or stainless steel. I do not want to change this guitars tone one bit, so I'd to get them again. Does anyone know which ones these are?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I bought my MIM Tele, it came equipped with 9's - dunno what brand, though. Probably Fender, at a guess. I think most electrics come out of the factory wearing 9's these days, which is my gauge of choice anyway. So I bought extra D'Addario 9's in the shop. But blackish strings? I only get them when they've been on a couple of months or so.......

Sorry, Roy, can't help you with that one.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, they're 9's for sure. I got mine a couple years before you got yours, I think. Fender's site is showing 250s now since '06. I've got a pack of them and they ain't it. :cry:

A friend of mine who has since moved away had the same things on his Tele that he got a couple years before I got mine.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Maybe the shop put new strings on for you. As long as I can remember Fender have put Fender strings on their guitars.

I remember that there was one manufacturer who brought out coloured strings and they did have a set of black coated ones, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Google gives me Black Diamond, DR Black Beauties, GHS Infinity Steel, D'Aquisto and no more.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe the shop put new strings on for you. As long as I can remember Fender have put Fender strings on their guitars.

To paraphrase Christine Keeler: "Well, they would, wouldn't they!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Are you sure they were black when new, Roy?

I have a buddy who swears by the "black strings" but upon closer inspection I also noticed bits of Cheesy Puffs and salt on those black strings. :shock:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Are you sure they were black when new, Roy?

I have a buddy who swears by the "black strings" but upon closer inspection I also noticed bits of Cheesy Puffs and salt on those black strings. :shock:

Well, there might be some on there, but they were black from the beginning. :)

They also have a bit of a weird feel to them. I wasn't going to mention it as I have no idea how to explain.

Oh well. Time to get some D'Adds or EBs and be done with it I guess. Maybe one each from the list Greybeard came up with from googling black strings.

Roy

ReplyQuote