Notifications
Clear all

Hendrix says you'll hate geeetar?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@texifornian)
Topic starter  

I had one of those moments---last night at my lesson my teacher was like 'okay, you've taken lessons for a while, let's pretend this is an audition: i've auditioned 32 rhythm guitar players and you're no 33. give me a blues groove'

of course I choked and started playing 'coffee shop chords'---the lesson was **grueling**

but I knew he was helping me--it was just painful to have to struggle with 'basics', even in front of my teacher of over a year! I was pretty close to throwing down my instrument, giving him two middle fingers, and going straight to a liquor store---but then this morning I got up and wanted to practice what he'd shown me last night. just wanted to say, I can identify with the much-repeated quote in the subject line

I've got blisters on my fingers

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

for_schizzle

First, welcome to GuitarNoise!

I like the lesson your teacher gave. You know one of the biggest secrets to playing guitar well is just learning to relax.

Easier said than done!

Whether auditioning for a band, or playing in front of people you need to recognize stress and get rid of it. Take a couple of nice deep breaths through the nose and exhale slowly through the mouth. Tell yourself not to take yourself too seriously and just have fun.

And recognize stress in your hands too. When you feel tension learn to relax.

Your teacher is pretty smart.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member

for-schizzle, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I think my teacher enjoys watching me sweat! Seriously, since our very first lesson together, he has forced me to play things in front of him that are above my level. He has me play an improvisational solo at every lesson. We started my lessons learning the major scale in C. At my second lesson, I could hardly play the pattern that we were working on but he still had me solo over that scale pattern while he played chord accompaniment. For an absolute beginner, this was horrifying. However, I've learned to appreciate what he's doing. Today, he had me playing the solo in A over his 12 bar blues chord pattern. He challenges me to add bends, slides and to "add more space." I always feel silly when I'm doing it (and a little embarrased) but I can't wait to get home and practice so that I'm better next time.

ReplyQuote
(@texifornian)
Topic starter  

for_schizzle

First, welcome to GuitarNoise!

Thanks. I've been lurking here for some time----and I've been learning from GN since I started learning----this place is the dank.

I've got blisters on my fingers

ReplyQuote