Clear all

Hercules Guitar Stands

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@trueg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If anyone doesnt know, these stands hold the guitar from the neck and let it hang down, the weight of the guitar locks it into place. I have this stand for all my guitars but i was recently wondering if holding a guitar like this from the neck can be bad for it. Guitars in stores are held like this, so can it be bad for it? Could a neck warp over time? Thanks.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The fact that most guitar retailers use the hang-by-the neck method, plus so many stand designs are based upon the same principle makes the answer pretty obvious: Hanging will not cause a guitar neck to warp. The worst I've seen is finish damage due to poor quality surgical tubing padding. That's a completely different issue.

Testimonial: I have twelve wall hangers at home -- seven of those for several years: no problems

(This question is asked every six months. We should start a FAQ and include this.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Well, if ya think about, you ARE hanging it by it's neck. :lol:

I have four and wish I had more wall space. Heck, two of them aren't even on a wall. :D

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

The worst I've seen is finish damage due to poor quality surgical tubing padding. That's a completely different issue.

This is the issue that worries me. I've heard that some stands can affect the finish on some guitars and am paranoid about putting my Les Paul on one even for a few seconds. I always lay my guitar into it's case even when putting it down during a practice session. Putting it on a stand would be so much more convenient but I don't want to affect the finish.

I have a Hercules stand for my other guitar and love it. Does anybody know if these stands are safe to the finish of my pride and joy? I know they state that they are in their advertising bumf but as I said I'm paranoid about it.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Brands I've used for years and have had no issues with finish damage: Off-the-Wall hangers, Hercules wall hangers, Ultimate (premium floor stand). All of these use a black foam or black rubber cushioning.

I should also mention that String Swing wall hangers utilize natural colored surgical tubing as padding; and I've seen poor quality surgical tubing discolor some necks. But never on the two String Swing hangers I have and use.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Thanks for that Gnease.

I may pluck up the courage to try my Hercules stand. I'm quite sure they are safe. It's just that I'm very protective of my LP. I worked hard for it and would hate to cause damage unnecessarily. Perhaps I'm a little over protective. :?

Cheers for the words of encouragement.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member

I know I'm a bit late here, but as a Hercules user I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I own several of them, and to the best of my knowledge, they use a foam that is not damaging to guitar finishes. I bought a Highway One Strat, which uses a Nitro cellulose finish, and bought another stand with it. It wasn't until later that I found out that stand was harmful to the nitro finish, so I took it back and exchanged it for the Hercules. I was assured it was perfectly safe for all finishes. Now, just watch your fingers. The part that moves up and down with the weight can pinch like a mother.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

rjnix brings up a good point regarding finishes. Adding to what I wrote above, I have guitars with gloss nitro on mahogany, gloss nitro on maple and both gloss and satin poly on maple -- no problems with the above mentioned stands.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have one, they advertise it not to damage your finish. I damaged the finish on my Les Paul Special with a cheap stand and learned a hard lesson. The very same guitar is hanging in the Hercules stand right now and has been there for a couple weeks. No problems, no damage. These stands cost a little bit but in the future when I purchase a stand it will be one of these. They are super convienent to use and hold the guitar secure.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

+1 on the Off-The-Wall guitar hangers and Ultimate guitar stands. No problems.

If you're worried sick about anything eating the finish off your guitar, I have a solution. Get a 100% cotton cloth and put that on the hanging part so your guitar neck will never touch anything but cotton.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote