Clear all

House On Pooh Corner

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I picked up the tab to "House on Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins. and there's just one spot I'm confused on...

http://www.tabalorium.com/tabs/6791.html

That's the address to the tab I'm using.

Now, in the chorus it does this...

D (Db bass) (B bass) A

I have no idea what that means. Does he want a D with a Db base and then a B base note?

If so where would you play this? I've tried some other usual spots to modify the D chord and I can't get it to sound right.

Hope someone can help.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Hey guys, I picked up the tab to "House on Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins. and there's just one spot I'm confused on...

D (Db bass) (B bass) A

I have no idea what that means. Does he want a D with a Db base and then a B base note?

If so where would you play this? I've tried some other usual spots to modify the D chord and I can't get it to sound right.

Hope someone can help.

Well the only thing I can think of is that you play the D chord, then when the music gets to a certain part, add a Db in the bass, then go from a Db to a lower B bass note and then go to an A. I noticed how the author of the tab said "bass walkdown" which means, if i'm not mistaken, that your bass line will move down tonally so moving from a D, to a Db to a B to a A in the bass would make alot of sense musically. If I am correct, then playing this wouldn't be too hard: I would start by playing an open d chord and hitting all the bass notes along the way, which would look like this:

e --2--2--2--0-----------------------------------------------------------
b --3--3--3--2-----------------------------------------------------------
g --2--2--2--2-----------------------------------------------------------
d --0--x--x--2-----------------------------------------------------------
a -----4--2--0-----------------------------------------------------------
E -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Oddly, I happen to have the MP3 for this...listening to the song, it sounds like what the tab author is referring to is the actual bass line in the song rather than the melody. I can't hear any lead guitar part that sounds like he's deviating from the melodic strum/arpeggio pattern he's already playing.

Granted, I'm still training my ear to pick out individual instruments like that, so I could be *waaaaaay* off the mark. I honestly am having a hard time figuring out if there's a true bass involved, or if it's just two guitars playing opposite each other.

You never learn if you don't make mistakes though. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@joepiwong)

D (Db bass) (B bass) A

Hope someone can help.

What the tab meant is like this:

D/Db D/B A

They are slash chords. So you play the D with a Db bass (the note is on the 5th string, 4th fret), and a D with a B bass(the note is on the 5th string, 2nd fret).

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You've got a confusing tab. The replies above are right, but the convention in music is to put 'extra' notes in the same key as the chord - a D chord would contain a C# rather than a Db note. You've got a walking bass going down from D to A:

-2-2-2-0-
-3-3-3-2-
-2-2-2-2-
-0-x-x-2-
-x-4-2-0-
-x-x-x-x-

The chords should be noted D-D/C#-D/B-A... the tabber just doesn't understand chord structure.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote