How are Jasmine Aco...

Notifications
Clear all

How are Jasmine Acoustic Guitars?

28 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I saw a nice Jasmine cutaway Acoustic guitar on eBay for a good price but the seller said there is a a piece of brace wood stuck inside of it - LOL!! When the top was put on the assembler must have set a brace blank in the guitar and forgot to pull it out. The guitar is perfect otherwise.

Will this extra piece of wood cause sound problems or do you think it could be removed safely? Plus are Jasmine guitars worth the trouble?

Thanks

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Mike,

I don't have any experience of Jasmine guitars, but the brace story sounds a little fishy. Could a guitar have really gone through all the manufacturing and finishing process, and then to a retailer and a buyer without anybody either noticing or deciding to just return it for a replacement? It's not a cover story for some kind of repair job is it?

I guess, I have no real idea about how big a piece of wood we're talking about here though. :) Any idea?

I doubt if I'd notice the sound difference, but some might. I had a lesson this week and Jon, my teacher, commented on the good sound of my old Terada acoustic. He said that his electrified acoustic sounded a fair bit flatter, or deader, or whatever, because it had a chunk of plastic in the side with the controls on, plus all sorts of wires and stuff hanging inside too. He said this does affect the way the sound resonates.

Can the seller supply more details or a pic of the brace? I've not used ebay, so that might be a dumb question. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

if i recall correctly, Jasmine is an offshoot of Takamine (think epi/ gibson, or squire/fender). I'm sure like every other guitar manfucator out there, some are alright and others are crap. you get what you pay for though in the end.

if it's a good price, get it. if nothing else it will make a good campfire, take with you everywhere guitar

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I had a Jasmine, which is a offshoot ot takamine. It was a standard acoustic and it was my first guitar. It played ok, but once I started playing and learning more I bought a new guitar and was amazed at the difference. Think, swinging a heavy bat before you take the plate in baseball, or throwing the medecine ball around. Harder to play and you really appreciate the finer things once you get something better.....

Please note this is just my opinion based on my experience.... and ask my wife, my opinion isn't worth much :x

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i agree the "brace" story sounds really fishy to me also.
i wouldn't risk it.

my main acoustic /electric is a Takamine and i really love it.
Jasmines are pretty much low level entry guitars and don't cost much.

i would check one out if you want a knock around beater to drag around without worries.
why take a chance on an unknown when they are pretty cheap new?

Here's an ES31C acoustic/electric for $160 US
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--3149

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I had a jasmine nylon string with a cutaway. I was a great guitar. It had incridible action and the neck was incredibly shallow, so playing large stretches was real easy. Unfortunately the sound wasn't all that great. It sounded better plugged in but I ended up selling it to my friend who's wife promptly put her foot through it. I ended up getting a sigma and 15 years later it's sounding really rich.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I just got this message from the seller...he does sound legit and has a good rating on eBay:
It did not get past the inspectors, that's why it is listed as a factory second. The wood is loose inside the lower bout and is too long to turn and pull out. There is no repair being hidden at all....just extra wood that some bonehead left in the guitar when they put the top on. There is no way to get a pic of it because it is located inside the body under where the bridge is.

I liked it because its an inexpensive cutaway...which my Fender San Luis Rey is not.

On a side note (I don't really want to waste starting a new thread)...How about the Indiana Guitar Company? Are they any good? There is 12 string listed for $31 plus $9.99 shipping...I would LOVE a 12 string to toy with...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

my advise Mike is stay clear , they aren't that flash they are pleanty of other brands out there that are much better , I have a old Magnum acustic which everyone knows is a cheap guitar , but it has this sound , and action that stood me back when I first bought it , my brother bought the very same guitar from the same music shop and his would make great fire wood . :wink:

cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Lotto,

Which one are you talking about? The Jasmine or the Indiana?

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

jasmine

the Indiana I have never heard of , $31.00 ? even if it's US $ or English Pounds seems too good to be true , and most likey it will be $31.00 in Australia does not buy any type of half decent axe .sorry

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I've got a Jasmine 12 string and I love it. The intonation is spot on, lovely action plays like a dream

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

$31 for a USED guitar and the auction isn't even over yet...They go for about $110 retail. I hear a lot of people on this forum paying that for other brands. Plus you can buy a Squire Acoustic Pack for $99 and Squires are decent...

One thing I learned reading this forum is that you CAN'T judge a guitar buy it's price tag. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the namebrand...now companies can have a reputation....good or bad. If Indiana Guitar Company has a history of crappy guitars then most likely this one is.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Being a Hoosier myself, I've looked into the Indiana guitars. I really couldn't find much info on them. This was the best I could come up with:

http://www.indianaguitarman.com/index.php

I'm still eyeing that Stars & Stripes acoustic. Just haven't been able to find one to play, but for the cost of them, I'm probably going to risk it at some point.

There's also some reviews at Harmony Central.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

DUDE! I love that Stars & Stripes guitar...I just might risk it as well...They do have a 7 day return policy...

I did read the reviews at Harmony Central...Not to bad

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If you do get it, please let me know your opinion of it. I mean, for $99, it's almost worth it just have it sitting in your living room as a decoration. :D 'Course it'd be nice if it was very playable as well.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2