Clear all

How do you avoid GAS?

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't mean not eating beans... I sold my older stuff, bought a new Tele and used LesPaul. Now I'm a Gibson fan-boy and want to sell my LP (at a small profit) to buy a LP Traditional... LOL I can afford it, after selling my old gear I have $700 burning a hole in my pocket, I can sell the LP for another 700 easily.. I won't be missing much for my dream guitar.

I wouldn't feel bad if I was good at playing LOL... I thought crack was addictive. :(

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well I avoid it by not having money to spend. :)

That being said, I did have a few things I realy wanted when I started playing. I know I wanted a LP of some kind, and also a acoustic. But I always enjoyed the sound of a resonator... so all those ended up in the fold. I was looking for a project one day, so I started building a Lapsteel... that was fun, and I have got a few yard sale junkys Ive played around with, or for the kids.. Well then I got to the point that any extra cash needs to go to learing how to play the things better!! So thats where my funds have gone the last year or so. that being said, Im realy getting to the point that the junky acoustic is starting to not do what I need of it. Ive progressed to the point that Im finding its shortfalls. So a nicer one has to enter the picture soon. I just havent found the right one, for the money I want to spend.. So I guess you never realy LOOSE the GAS... just control it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

You seem to be on the right track. There is no cure, all you can do is minimize the damage. Selling the old gear as you GAS is a good approach.

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I avoid it by not having money to spend. :)

That being said, I did have a few things I realy wanted when I started playing. I know I wanted a LP of some kind, and also a acoustic. But I always enjoyed the sound of a resonator... so all those ended up in the fold. I was looking for a project one day, so I started building a Lapsteel... that was fun, and I have got a few yard sale junkys Ive played around with, or for the kids.. Well then I got to the point that any extra cash needs to go to learing how to play the things better!! So thats where my funds have gone the last year or so. that being said, Im realy getting to the point that the junky acoustic is starting to not do what I need of it. Ive progressed to the point that Im finding its shortfalls. So a nicer one has to enter the picture soon. I just havent found the right one, for the money I want to spend.. So I guess you never realy LOOSE the GAS... just control it.

Have you tried the Epi 335 acoustics? I ended up getting a used Godin 5th avenue king pin... it's like a 335 with a P90 pickup and made in North America (Canada)... Very nice guitar for the money.

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You seem to be on the right track. There is no cure, all you can do is minimize the damage. Selling the old gear as you GAS is a good approach.

Yup, I figure why bother keeping my older gear... If I focused as much as I did on GAS as I did practicing, I'd be much better today lol :lol: :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Avoid GAS?

Resistance is futile.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is the only hobby, where I can walk into a store and scream "I have GAS VERY BAD GAS" and get the best service lol...

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I used to have GAS, then I got my Parker DF.

I can't say it's the best guitar in the world, because we all have different tastes, but it's the best guitar in the world for me.

• It's extremely comfortable and well balanced - no neck dive, no pressure on my right arm, contoured well
  • light weight but sustains as well as my 8lb LP clone
  • 25.5" scale and 14" radius - my personal preference
  • Ebony fretboard and stainless steel strings - it makes bending like a hot knife through butter
  • Sperzel locking tuners, Graph-Tech nut, and a straight string path from ball end to machine head makes for remarkable tuning stability - even with the whammy bar it stays in tun better than my Gibson, Epi, and LTD without whammys
  • Seymour Duncan S-S-S/H tuners plus a piezo under the bridge gives me a variety of sounds

• It's over two years old now and I haven't lusted for anything else. I found the perfect guitar for me.

When the prices for collectibles go back up, I plan on selling my 1970 Gibson ES-330 and getting another Parker DF with P-Rail pickups. The absolute only thing missing from my current DF is the P90 sound. I like playing the Parker so much that when I need the P90 sound and pick up one of my non-Parker P90 gutars, I don't enjoy playing it as much as my DF.

So in conclusion, perhaps if you find a guitar that you bond with much more than all the others, your GAS will be gone.

But then there is a price to pay. With no GAS, looking at those catalogs that come in the mail isn't as much fun.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
    (@ezraplaysezra)
    Honorable Member

Building guitars is the only way to elimate GAS for me and even then not completely. My new shop is 85% there - pics to follow soon I hope.

ReplyQuote
    (@doremifa)
    Estimable Member
    Topic starter  

you guys are on to something... like a woman, find the right one and you're okay for life lol...

I guess I'll upgrade my Gibson and try tons of them until I fall in love with "the one"... That should about do it for me (then a nice classic Strat) and I'm done... Oh wait a real Gibson 335 would be nice... Then I wouldn't mind PRS once I get better at soloing... and then maybe another Telecaster custom shop or something... Oh and a 12 string acoustic... then maybe a 12 string les paul, that would be cool. Oh an SG so I can play some ACDC and look cool too lol Oh and....

DAMMIT! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I think I'm cured for a while... Just bought my dream guitar (Gibson Les Paul Traditional). I feel so guilty due to the cost of the thing but it will be with me forever. :D

ReplyQuote
    (@rparker)
    Illustrious Member

Congrats on your dream guitar. :)

I normally cure gas by looking at everything I have right now and start calling myself bad names for the weak moments. It doesn't always work.

Roy
    "I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
    (@moonrider)
    Noble Member

I normally cure gas by looking at everything I have right now and start calling myself bad names for the weak moments. It doesn't always work.

LOL! That just makes me go, "Ooh! I can sell this . . . and this . . . and If I can $$$$ for them, I can BUY it!"

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
    (@doremifa)
    Estimable Member
    Topic starter  

hahaha yeah.. I went to the music store the other day. I avoided the guitars and got what I needed lol It was a challenge but... man, I feel like I'm on a 12 step program lol

ReplyQuote
    (@trguitar)
    Famed Member

I've been playing the same guitar and amp for the past 2 1/2 months. Gas all gone. The right gear can be the answer.

Now what to do with the other twenty some guitars and six amps?

Ahhhhh .. it is a beauty!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
    grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
    -- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
    (@minus_human)
    Reputable Member

Well I avoid it by not having money to spend. :).

yeah that pretty much sums it up for me..
    Agree with TRGuitar aswell good gear helps you not look around so much.

And all the things you said to me
    I need your arms to welcome me
    But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 2