Which song are you learning right now?

30 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
11.6 K Views
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Most boards have a "what are you listening too" type topic... so I figure this is more appropriate :D

Johnny B Goode for me right now LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JULmUlGDA (almost got most of the notes, but kind of slow...)

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

(@alangreen)

For my solo classical guitar work - Variations on an Anatolian folksong, by Carlo Domeniconi. I have the theme and first variation sort of ok which means there's a shedload of work still to do. Loads of other stuff too; mostly early music.

Brushing up on Pachelbel's Canon, Air on the G String, and Cavatina - I'm playing a wedding a week tomorrow

Brushing up on George Harrison's "Something" for the wedding too. The groom's son is playing it for the Bridal March and I'm accompanying.

Song work (also for this wedding) - You Are So Beautiful (Joe Cocker), Songbird (Christine McVie) and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack) - I'm accompanying a singer during the signing of the register.

And finally - more wedding stuff - there's a song which Adam Sandler sings on the plane in the film "The Wedding Singer." Yep, we're looking at that one too.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Today's menu (taking a break from Johnny for my sanity) is: Hey Jude, Lullaby/Carry that weight... I know how to play a lot of Beatles tunes but I haven't touched them in a while... :D

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

After almost a year of "wanting to" I've finally started working hard to play jazz......

I have learned a few standards - the almost a 12 bar blues of - Freddie Freeloader...
Classic standard...... Autumn Leaves
And I got rhythm - which I have also learnt a solo for as well as the chords

Its going okay, only been really serious for a few months and off to perform them at an open mic jazz club not next week but the week after.

I have also been working on learning chord solo pieces - I have learned all of misty and am now working on As time Goes by - hopefully in a months I'll have the guts to show these off at the open mic night.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well other then a lot of odds and ends Im mostly working on "Carolina In my Mind" And in down time I work on polishing up "Norwegian Wood" what is the first song that I have been eaven close to being able to play for other people.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow that's all I ever do is learn new songs...funny I know alot of songs and I still sux hmm you'd think I'd get better by now.

Anyhow we might have a new front man for the band and looks like a bunch of new songs to learn. So by this coming Saturday its:

Born to be Wild - Hinder ( Never heard their version until today)
One - Creed
Unglued - STP
Hard to Handle - Black Crowes

I vaguely remember the Creed song I know there's not much to the STP song so not to bad.

Another few that I just need to brush up on:

Cumbersome - 7 Mary Three
Keep away - Godsmack
Shimmer - Fuel
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is a fun one... kind of easy too and doing it acoustic is cool...

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive

ReplyQuote
(@bsmitts)

I have been learning "Don't cry" by Guns n Roses. I've been trying to develop my picking, and I find it to be a great song to practice this by. I try to arpeggio the beginning chords, (which is actually how it is played) without looking at my picking hand. It takes some practice to get it down. I haven't got it down perfect yet, but I'm seeing improvement. The beginning chords are (A minor, D minor, G, C and repeat) for anyone interested.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Learning a chord melody solo version of My Funny Valentine - then I want to learn another CMS of Someone to watch over me.

Also have been rehearsing a set list of 20 songs - and want to learn "til there was you" by the Beatles (well from the music man really)

ReplyQuote
(@rooster-smith)
Eminent Member

I have been learning "Don't cry" by Guns n Roses. I've been trying to develop my picking, and I find it to be a great song to practice this by. I try to arpeggio the beginning chords, (which is actually how it is played) without looking at my picking hand. It takes some practice to get it down. I haven't got it down perfect yet, but I'm seeing improvement. The beginning chords are (A minor, D minor, G, C and repeat) for anyone interested.

That's a good one. REally cool song from a really cool band. Wish they were still playing together. Both guitar players were good and Axel was a good great front man.

Although by that time I believe Rose kicked one of the guitar players out.

Bummer.

I'm working on Evil by Interpol.

Chill out tent and Stuck Between Stations by the Hold Steady.

The Johnny Cash Hurt cover.

and Hey Ho by the Lumineers.

All sound rough.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Stuck Between Stations by the Hold Steady.

I guess Sal Paradise was right.............. boys and girls in America, have such a sad time together.

ReplyQuote
(@rooster-smith)
Eminent Member

Stuck Between Stations by the Hold Steady.

I guess Sal Paradise was right.............. boys and girls in America, have such a sad time together.

Haha. yeah. What was it they were doing at their demonstrations?

Jamming out to them on the 45 minute walk to guitar center today. Think I might wanna start trying to figure out Sweet Pain or How a resurrection really feels.

ReplyQuote
(@rooster-smith)
Eminent Member

I need to learn something with a cool little solo in it. NOthing major, just something easy that a beginner can play.

Show people that I'm not just a strummer you know? Any recommendations?

I saw a vid on youtube that had Slash's solo from "Knockin' on Heavens Door." But it has this thing in it when you start the bend already in progress. Wouldn't know how to do that because there's a note you have to play before it on the same string. Blew my mind.

ReplyQuote
(@danlorenz)

I learning now treasure by bruno mars and i use my guitar its so hard.so i keep it up to success.

ReplyQuote
(@christopherius)
Trusted Member

Currently learning Age Of Reason by Black Sabbath.

Chris
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/christopherius/th_FenderSig.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2