Clear all

How to place fingers

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey All Im sitting here with a wade of hair in my hands freshly pulled from my now bleeding sculp. Im trying to learn Metalicas Fade to black acoustic intro. Im using a tab version provided by Guitar Pro 4, anyway I cant figure out how to place my fingers. If anyone is familiar with the song, do you use your index and ring fingers for the 2nd and 4th frets of the 5th and 4th string while using your pinky to hit the 5th fret on the 5th string when needed? or do you use you index and middle fingers and your index to hit the 5th fret? any help would be appreciated thanks :)

(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Your first one is correct - use your index and ring fingers for the 2nd and 4th frets, and then use the pinkie for the 5th. Then, when you need to barre the two strings and hold down the 4th fret on the 5th string, just barre with the index and hold down the 4th string with the ring finger.

You are making it a LOT more complicated for yourself than it should be.

Also, upon realizing this, you might be in the position to either smack yourself upside the head or pull out another bloody clump of hair out of frustration at your lack of knowledge. Please, also, choose the former.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Rodya
Lol, thanks for the reply.. As you can tell Im pretty new to playing and my hands where refusing to stretch in that way... I did get it down though and almostup to speed. Now on to bars 19+ :) Thanks..
Is thier anyway to know which fingers to use on what, or does that just come with expierence?

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Part experience, part common sense.

One thing that you learn when doing scales is that it is harder temporarily, but faster and easier in the long run to learn to use all your fingers (not just the first two!) and to keep them limited / planted in a particular area to increase speed and fluidity.

The clutch thing to keep in mind - guitar players ARE HUMAN. That means that they will look for the most efficient, most fluid, and easiest way to play something, because they want to sound good and smooth at the same time. So if you think that something is impossible because of the fingering, chances are you're doing it all wrong, or you're just not up to it yet. :)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Or, you could just hit the Next open string, which is the same as the fifth fret, and then when trying to hit the fifth fret of A, slide to fifth fret with middle finger. :)

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Ixnay on the ortcuts-shay... :P

He's right though. I prefer the other way only because then my notes are separate, and I don't have to worry about hitting the same string twice, which screws with my rhythm. Woe unto those who screw with my rhythm! :evil:

ReplyQuote