Clear all

how to turn your classic guitar into folk guitar

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i've been playing guitar for 2 years - so i know all the stuff about don't put steel strings on your classic etc...

somehow i compared two strings - acoustic and electric guitar strings - all d'ddarios - and saw that the electric guitar tension for the same diameter of string was about half that of the acoustic string of the same diameter.

then i went on to compare it with classic strings (nylon) and found out that the total tension of electring strings 008 - is less then the total tension of classic strings.

So now I'm going to change my classic guitar strings to electric guitar. I've allready attached it a pickguard - That way I'm turning my classic guitar to be 12 frets folk guitar.
How about that ?

Going on the same path - my next question is why not change the acoustic strings to electric ones since they will put less preasure on the acoustic guitar ?

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.
For refernce I've put the total tensions of some strings sets - all destails from juststring.com in Lbs.

classical strings
-----------------

classic extra hard - 92.8
classic normal - 82.5

acoustic strings
----------------

acoustic 012 - 163.2
acoustic 010 - 135.1

electric strings
----------------

008 - 70.5 lb
009 - 85.2 lb
010 - 103.6
012 - 151.1

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd never thought about electric strings on a classical. It will probably sound very tinny.

I'd look at silk and steel instead.

Acoustic guitars are built with the top designed to be pulled by a certain pressure from the strings. If you have too little pressure, the top won't vibrate properly and you'll get substandard sound.

Think about a tin can phone. If the string isn't taught against the bottom of both cans, no sound is transmitted.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Wouldnt you need different guges to get the desired pitch? That is you can't string 8 gauge strings all the way across. Although I have used 2 12 gauges on the bottom of my electric in a pinc.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

He (pardon if a she) is describing the total tension of a set of strings and simply using the high e's guage to distinguish between set guages (e.g., 8 => extra light set, 9 => light ...). Don't think there is any suggestion for using all 8's or 9's. If one did, the overall tensions would be much lower -- floppy-like lower.

The other thing that might be a problem is the fret wear. Not all classicals may have hard enough frets to deal with steel strings instead of the usual nylon and wound nylon strings, which are pretty soft.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

He (pardon if a she) is describing the total tension of a set of strings and simply using the high e's guage to distinguish between set guages (e.g., 8 => extra light set, 9 => light ...). Don't think there is any suggestion for using all 8's or 9's. If one did, the overall tensions would be much lower -- floppy-like lower.

You learn something new every day. Didn't realize the high E gives the most tension. Makes sense though Duh!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't. String-to-string tension usually fairly balanced in a good set of strings in standard tuning. But if all were the same guage, then the high e would indeed be under the most tension.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi All

in the reference I ment for whole set of strings - the high E is just the starting point. like when you go shopping for strings you tell the seller give me a set of electric guitar strings starting with 008.

I did not mean to put all 008 strings.

Anyway I did finally put a set of electric guitar 008 - meaning
and whatever comes next.

the guitar now sounds very cool, bluesy, and it competes now with my acoustic dreadnought I have.

kinda revivng history - i guess those who thaught about acoustic guitar - first put steel strings instead of those nylon...
anyway the total gauges of the 008 set - is like extra light nylon strings. so the guitar now has less tension on it and sounds boomier.

The guitar now with it's very low action and huge space (classics have 2 inch nut width) is the perfect fingerstyle guitar.
I spent all last night playing with it and exploring new sounds...
amazing and to think it is just a crappy classic guitar. all laminated body...

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey Nick did i give you an insparation for an article ?

at the end of the day you start thinking about all those do and don'ts people tell you and see a lot of it is just nonsense.

anyway the guitar is crappy, so i do a lot of experimantations on it. which is the way new ideas come to the world. think different, try things, don't be fixed on one way of thinking. I urge you all to try what I've done.

One thing to correct - I meant it is now like parlor guitar. parlor is the size of classic with steel strings ?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hmmm, maybe....

But I don't think anyone here was saying don't use electric strings. I think that was just a stroke of genius on your part.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

a stroke of genius ?

ooh I'm flattered Nick. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No offence Nick.

I only wanted to state that you shouldn't stop experimenting / checking things / try ideas just because someone else tells you so.

Thanks for all the responses.

itzik

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

none taken

I think you are right. I am working on an article challenging the superiority of solid tops. Don't get me wrong, I think they are superior. But I don't think many people can tell just by listening.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I agree with you Nick. Anyway my solid top (don't know if its all solid)
is more fun to play - when I play it, I can feel the vibration of it and it adds to the fun of playing.

After listening to my "folk" guitar - I figure the trebels are too sharp - so now I replaced them with the former nylon strings - so now I have nylon strings as my trebels and electric strings as my basses -
thats what I call "acoustic electric" guitar.

I think you should mention in your article that every one needs a crap guitar - not only for taking it with you to trips, but doing tests on it - things you wouldn't dare with your 1000 $ plus guitar

itzik

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Crap guitars are great for learning repair work.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote