Clear all

How would I...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@omega)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What would be the best way to go about getting a journalist-style job within music? I figure seeing as I enjoy writing and music I should find out whats available, if anything, and what peoples ideas are?

thanks. :)

Somnium Dulcis.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Probably need to check out interships at music mags such as Rolling Stone etc.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

i'd have to say that to become a music writer you'll probally need to take the same path that every other writer/journalist hopeful takes. go to college, get a qualification in journalism or the like, then apply for jobs in music publications.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You can also write for GN. You'll note that we have CD and concert reviews, as well as state of the business articles. Contact dhodge for more info...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are three approaches you can take to a writing career:

1. Staff writer... these guys draw a paycheck, and work for magazines like Guitar Player. They write the pieces that don't have bylines (equipment review columns, things like that) and the interview pieces; they may also edit stories submitted by freelance writers. These jobs are highly competitive - most staff writers I've known have a master's degree in journalism from a top-notch university (like the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern). Get yourself a great education, go into hock for tens of thousands of dollars, and you can be one of the hundreds competing for the few entry-level positions that pay a pittance in exchange for the 'prestige' of being in the business. Get your foot in the door, work hard at it for 5-10 years, and the competitors will hire you away at a decent salary - that seems to be the normal career path.

2. Contracted writer... these guys are hired to write a specific piece on a specific topic. In order to do that, you'll need a few things: a body of work so you can show them you're not some dreamer who can't write; references, to show them that you'll actually turn in your piece on deadline; and basic business skills so you can collect the money and keep the books for tax purposes. In the usual career path, you write a bunch of articles for very little compensation (sometimes you get a few dollars, sometimes you just get copies of the magazine when it's printed), then you dream up great story ideas. You send the story ideas to the editor in what's known as a 'query letter', along with some writing samples if you're not known to the editor yet, and you sit back to wait for several months. They'll say no. Then you try again with a different idea, and maybe additional samples. Eventually you get a yes, and after some years of doing this, the editors will know you, and maybe even call you with their idea for a story.

3. Speculation writer... you come up with your great idea, and you actually write it. You then send the finished piece to a magazine, and wait... and wait... and after a few months it comes back with a 'no'. Then you send that magazine another speculation piece, and you send the first one off to a different magazine. Repeat until you have an income.

It's a tough road, and there's political issues too... one magazine might not even consider you if your work has appeared under competitor's flag, etc. - but I actually do know full-time writers in each of those three avenues. Most of them either got lucky, or they skirted the issues somehow - publishing for non-music venues (human interest pieces on local musicians for local newspapers), or starting with lots of 'small' things (300 word music reviews that pay very poorly... but if you establish a name for yourself, the record companies will fill your mailbox with new releases at no charge!). Like anything else connected with music, it's as much about perserverance as it is about talent and ability.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I've just finished school, so its something I'm thinking about a lot. I'll probably as suggested, start writing internet columns or the like, and seeing how that turns out(checking to see if its really soemthing I enjoy, etc.)

Again, thanks for the replies. :D

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote