Clear all

I finally Got To Jam Again

27 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I had to call the last few off before shelving them temporarily altogether. Long story short, a bit of a med break has lifted me out of the fog. Game on.

He came over Saturday Morning. My "studio" set-up passed with flying colors for low-ish volume playing. I had little choice but to sit with my left ear - with plug - to the bass amp. He played it louder than in the past, though. I could hear what he was doing. I do need to get better at adjusting my guitar's volume knob while playing. At one point it was so slow that he thought I had quite playing altogether. :oops: :oops:

Highlights: Worst, first. My worst song was the Supertramp song and David Hodge lesson, "Give A Little Bit". I just had no feel for the transitions. Other than that, I did OK, especially considering the reduced playing I've done in the past month. I'm still rusty even now.

We did some slow to medium paced Classic Rock songs. Each time or session that we play togeher, he barks out something new for me to try. This time it was to play the solo on Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. It went well enough that he had me do it again after the second chorus. The second solo was much better. I didn't remember everything....like the fact I had a lead tone a pedal stomp away that I made for just such an occasion. :oops: :roll:

And then there was the new vocals twist. New to me, anyhow. No matter what we play, one of us sings. We take turns. It's sort of who ever feels like singing the song we're on. Neither of us are singers, but it's fun and helps to keep the song flowing. He probably does 2 out of 3. Yesterday's new vocal challenge was during the final song we played, Neil Young's "Heart of Gold". He was singing lead. As we got towards the end of the final instrumental, he barked out that I needed to sing the harmonies on the last bit coming up. Yikes!!! :shock: I quickly remembered what I could from a topic I posted here months ago about singing harmonies and prepared myself mentally to attempt some sort of three step higher thing. I really had no clue what key I needed to be singing in, but knew that it was different (higher) that his leading vocals. Somewhere between the freaking out phase and the singing phase, some sort of natural instinct thing happened and it what came out was nearly effortless and technically decent.

I think my best song of the session was Pink Floyd's, "Nobody Home". It's a piano song on the album, but I turned it into a guitar song heavily laden with arpeggios. I did a really good job with my arpeggios and singing. I was curious how doing that song in the manner I do it in would be with other players. I thought it went well. He kept up a simple, but powerful bass line and left a super canvas for me to play against. It was great fun. I really wish I had recorded it.

I can't wait 'till the next time. :D :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds like a great time! I've been working on 'Heart of Gold' myself. I got a set of harmonicas this weekend, so I'm learning that and Mary Jane's Last Dance. A friend of mine is getting back into playing guitar and we've started jamming.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on 'Heart of Gold' myself.
It's a fun song. It was one of the ones that I tried to learn when I first started, but never got the hang of it until a few years later. I've been playing MJLD for some time now. I think it was one of my earliest complete single guitar arrangement covers. Happy times, although I still forget some of the lyrics.

Good luck on the harps. 8) If I ever get this head thing settled, I'd love to try. Probably will also take another few years of not smoking. In the meantime, I'll stay tuned for your cover of Whammer Jammer. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwB4bLwbWE

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Great to hear you are back at it Roy. As a harper that has taken up guitar Heart of Gold was a requirement. I may have a go at it this evening, it's been awhile.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Jack. Loads of fun. Hard to go wrong with Neil Young. Hard Rock or acoustic. 8) 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Roy sounds like fun.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats great Roy! You need to throw up a mic sometime so we can hear! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

so the ear/head thing is on the mend? excellent.
jamming is the best. no vacuum present. someone is filling in the spaces when you're not playing. making music.
Roy. I too am being faced with singing harmony. it has been a struggle to sing and play fills simultaneously for one thing. the other is where do I sing; higher? how high? lower? do I sing the 3rd? the 7th?
when I am singing lead do I sing lower at the chorus?
anyway. happy to hear your news.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

so the ear/head thing is on the mend? excellent.
Ear a bit better, Fevers a bit lower, but the head & neck not yet. The Doc has been trying out different cocktails, so to speak. It's the cocktails that leave me in an increased state of stupor.
jamming is the best.
I agree. I come away from them with so many tid-bits of informtion. Takes a few days to decipher it all. :oops:
Roy. I too am being faced with singing harmony.
If I learn a riff or passage while singing it from it's entry into my playlist, I fair much better at singing and playing. It's tough for me to add another element once something gets cemented into brain. As far as what to sing in harmonies, I was really amazed at how instinct took over and gave cognitive thought a shove away.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Not even gonna justify that with a response huh? :lol: Awe come on .... we want to hear you guys. 8) Stick a mic in the room and hit "record".

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'll stay tuned for your cover of Whammer Jammer. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwB4bLwbWE

Man, that dude has a serious head of hair. I don't think I have enough hair to cover that song.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Not even gonna justify that with a response huh? :lol: Awe come on .... we want to hear you guys. 8) Stick a mic in the room and hit "record".
That's actually a strength of my USB mic. One of the four "patterns" is cardioid. The other three will do room or amp mic'ing decently. It will happen some time for sure. I was kid of kicking myself for not doing it on Saturday. It was plugged in and a track was armed in Reaper. :roll:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Man, that dude has a serious head of hair. I don't think I have enough hair to cover that song.
Magic Dick had some wild hair. Big hair was cool. I was never cool. :(

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Update on this one, too. Another jam is in store for next week. 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Thats great roy! Sounds like you had fantastic fun and really got into the groove! Comfortably numb I would have probably jammed the second solo because i have always found it too long to learn! I tend to improvise things l ike that anyway rather than play note for note, I feel good about doing that now so it works for me! I like to be in a band where they let me improvise the solos............ what songs are you planning next? Ps I am jealous of you and your arpeggios because I suck at arpeggios! Do you do them with your fingers or with a pick? I am okay with my fingers, a bit lousy with the pick!

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2