Clear all

I finally Got To Jam Again

27 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Comfortably numb I would have probably jammed the second solo because i have always found it too long to learn!
Same here. No way I'm remembering the whole thing. I normally just stay in Bm pent, but I do go up the neck for one part and down the neck for another.

Nothing planned right now. Hoping for another one soon, though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Some solos (or parts there of) are like necessary parts of the song. Others are open to improvisation. Even the origional artists do this. I like to add my own touch, part out of creativity and part out of lazyness. :lol: I liken it to coloring in the lines vs creating your own painting. Might not look quite as nice but it is yours. I like to keep a few of the signature licks of the solo and add my own touches in between. It makes it quicker to learn and the average listener will not even notice the difference.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Yup I am like you TR and for comfortably numb its most likely that if I was doing Comfortably numb in a band I would play the first solo nearly note for note - most people remember that one accurately however the second one feels far more improvised....

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was much less nervous heading into this one than I have been. Especially the last one. I started a thread earlier this week about not having it one evening and have been recovering from that. Not fully recovered, but enough to invited him over.

We probably now have a traditional warm up song. "Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones. We both agree on it when we got all set and started to figure out what to play. I said, "Let's use Dead Flowers" as a warm up song. I think it went fairly well. We followed that with about 1/2 dozen Pink Floyd songs, A Merle Hagard song called "Oakie from Muskogee", Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" and " The Ballad of Curtis Loew" and "Tuesday's Gone". We did a few others and called it a session after one with some bite to the guitar tone. "Keep On Rocking in a Free world" It's been pretty much our closing number for the past few sesions.

So, he mentioned that he wanted to do some more harder stuff. I do, too, so maybe this will get me off my butt and learn some easier ones to start. We've done a few things, but not much. This should be fun.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Harder? Harder difficult or harder "Harder"! We are working up Metal on Metal in anticipation of seeing Anvil warm up for Alice Cooper. Thats the harder I like! :twisted: "Metal on Metal ..... shakin the place ... blows back your hair ... CAVES IN YOUR FACE!" :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Harder as in heavier. Hard Rock. I wouldn't say Heavy Metal exactly. Think more Led Zep "Whole Lot of Love" or "Living Loving Maid". Maybe "The Ocean". That kind of thing he mentioned specifically. I can do a bit, but not a lot. I'll have to look through my books and see what looks doable. I can get most of the tones OK out of my GT-10 and I do need to branch out some more in that direction. We'll see. :)

I got my Led Zep books out last night, but fell asleep. I'll look more tonight.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Alright! Thats my kind of harder. My tone just comes from my amp dials. I do use a Bad Monkey for a little bit of a boost but the gain is only set at 9 oclock (and the dial starts about 7 oclock). I do have the preamp gain pegged though. :wink: I'm not familiar with the GT-10 but it must have a Marshall patch.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's got a decent set of preamps. Marshall, Fender, Mesa, H&K, Soldano, JC120, etc, etc. Most sound fairly decent, but my ear isn't educated enough for all the nuances between the imitations and the real thing. If I want something like a fuzz in front of a marshall, I can dial it up and get in the neighborhood. I guess it'd be like your peavy modeling amp. :?:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@sunnibear)
Trusted Member

The lead for Comfortably Numb is my all time favorite lead ever written. David Gilmore has more feeling in his leads than anyone I've ever listened to. My favorite song I play w/ the band is breathe. Do you have any kind of recording for Comfortably Numb? I would love to hear that or anything else you have!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got nothing recent or at all decent. There is a decent backing track that I play to occasionally, but it's been some time since I've concentrated on it enough to want to do a recording. I think I got it from http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=64 . It's fun to play against.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@sunnibear)
Trusted Member

Yo parker, Thanks for the Floyd tracks. Started playing to them as soon as you sent them especially to Time. Is that great lead part of Time or Breathe? Also where is the best place to go for free tracks? I think i'll put up a thread for that!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think it's part of "Time", but not sure.

Where's the best place? It's more like, where's the best place left doing them? Here are a couple.
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam%20Tracks
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

I normally make my own these days. Especially if I'm recording something for fun. I'll use the drums and bass tracks from songs I find with the Guitar Pro software, and sometimes I'll use Band in a Box software to create some more generic numbers. (I'm not very well skilled yet with all this can do)

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2