Clear all

i got a good deal i think

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I walk into the pawn shop and there she was a black epiphone les paul standard I've wanted a les paul for ever so I bought it with a hard case for
370 bucks its an 05 mij but I love it pics coming soon jjust thought id share with every one

Its 109 miles to chicago

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

A black Epi LP? It seems a good deal. Congrats!

I'll be waiting for the pics.

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Very cool!! A lot of people slam the Epi's but I tell ya... I have a epi LP standerd and I love it!!! Plays like a dream.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Sounds like a bargain, and you get what you want! How good is that? Seems like you hit the nail on the head. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is always nice finding a guitar you like.
unfortunately, I think you paid twice what a used Epi is worth.
I had one. nice playing guitar. the pickups are ok for this model, but sometime in the future you may want to upgrade.
mine had a black trans finish. the grain underneath was beautiful.
is your solid black or trans?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

There she is I love how it playhs so n ice and I may have paid more than u would have bujt I don't. Mind cause its a great guitar imo I allready upgraded emg 81 85 and planet waves locking tuners I played a show last night with it and had no problems at all .

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats the thing with the epi's.. they LOVE to be modded!!!!!!! Mine is still stock, but will be getting some vintage style pups soon, and swapped over to the '59 wiring style. I want to swap to the keystone style tuners..... but the OE ones work well...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I paid $429 for mine new. They moved the manufacture to China and I find these to have better sounding pickups. I used to hate the sound of the Epi pickups compared to my Gibsons. These new ones are close. My only mods were strap locks and a Nashville style TOM bridge. I have 2, a black one and a honey burst plain top.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I paid $429 for mine new. They moved the manufacture to China and I find these to have better sounding pickups. I used to hate the sound of the Epi pickups compared to my Gibsons. These new ones are close. My only mods were strap locks and a Nashville style TOM bridge. I have 2, a black one and a honey burst plain top.

I wonder if that's why mine sounds a lot nicer then some I have played. Mine eaven sounds GREAT unplugged. I am unhappy with the neck pickup though. The bridge is pretty good realy, but the neck I can't get the sound I want out of.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got an '05 Custom. It's an MIK, not MIJ. Odd.

The '05 is still all stock except for a toggle switch and saddle. My '08 Honeyburst has new toggle and aftermarket pickups. SD Duncan-Distortion and '59 in the bridge and neck.

Used standards around here get listed for $275-$300 with or without a case. Pawnshops are higher here than private sale, so I imagine it's in line with them down here. I think the pawn shops try to sell for max eBay price around here. The Ebony Standards go for $429 new, IIRC, so if you got one with a case and was already set up to play nicely, you didn't do too badly.

Enjoy your new guitar! 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Enjoy the new Epi! What's it really worth? That's a tough question and it depends on the local market. I recently bought a used Fender Mexican strat that jumped out at me when I stopped in the guitar store to buy picks. Thought about it overnight, read a bunch of reviews, figured out that it was made in 2004, searched ads on-line for prices, found that the price was on the high end, went back the next day and bought it anyway. It looked like it had barely been played and I found no issues with it. Did I get a deal? I'm guessing no, but I'm still happy.

If you're holding the guitar in your hands and it feels and sounds good, it's hard to pass up. It's especially hard to pass up if you live where there aren't a lot of music shops.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It came with a hard case and disentangle seem like it was played alot wasn't any belt rash on the back the paint on the neck right under the headstock looks like someone had it in a non paded hanger but not a big deal I love it

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Epi have only made one series in Japan (in recent years, anyway) - and that's the Elitist series. They used to build in Korea and now do it in China, at their own factory.

If it is an Elitist, you have a very good deal.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, I too thought about the Elitist series of Epiphone guitar. If it is one of those you did get a great deal. Some people however refer to all asian made guitars as "Japaneese" guitars referring to a time when they made crap. Today they are #2 however, my Jackson is MIJ. Are you sure it is made in Japan? You can tell if it is an Elitist by the head stock. (I'm talking about the shape not the inlay)

Elitist

Regular Epiphone

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Its deffinetly a jap made 2005 looked up the serial # I don't care what it is I love it

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2