Skip to content
New Guitar Again - ...

Notifications
Clear all

New Guitar Again - but maybe my last... it better be good!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Where to start? Can I make it short, please? :shock:

I separated from my family recently, involuntarily, and became among the homeless and bewildered (technically) last year.

My daughters gave me their acoustic guitars and their Tele's that they didn't need, but I have run out of acoustics almost entirely. I was looking for a Taylor because it is the one brand I have never had and never will. I found a used Tacoma A/E instead, fell in love with the thing, and that's the end of story, it's a keeper. I didn't say much about that, overcome by the daily grind and focusing on survival and legal maneuvers. I also bought a Cort dreadnaught, but sold it along with my CBS Masterworks, and got a 1992 Pawn Shop Seagull, original Model 6, which I will keep. One problem, was having 3 cedar tops (including Garrison A/E), and the other - I wore out the first fret on all of them! Well, the Tacoma's isn't grooved down to nothing yet, so I have to save it? :roll: It's because I play funny - I wiggle the chords, vibrato the leads, and play mandolin at the same time, or just chop and hammer the thangs! The first fret wears on the B string because I play too many C's, A minor, Am 7ths, and barre F's, & then are Bm7's - goodbye second fret! Yes I like the C Am F & G songs plus Heaven's Door.

Okay, let's do this thing. The store where I bought my first guitar 40 years ago, and the CBS, had a sale - I went for the Taylors, then the Gibsons again, but ended up deciding on an Art & Lutherie Spruce Burgundy. It sounded best to me, maybe my ears are worn out too, actually I'm sure that is the case. It was going to be $200, I wasn't super keen, because you never know what you'll find in a Pawn Shop. I decided to sleep on it, and go back the next day; if it was there I'd take it, if not, too bad. I could have phoned, I could have gone early - what did I do, slept all day! I went in just before the end of the sale and she was a gonner - somebody got a good one, soooo sweeeet. No biggie, I think I got the better of them, or actually they were too kind because I am a poor bum??? or becuase I have bought decades of instruments, at Colosimo's? :lol:

Wanting to sound like a D18 and be bright and loud, and fully dreadnaughted-out at Coffee Houses, I bought a new Norman B20, it was a no-brainer, just a little hard to choose in a few minutes while other customers scrambled about and loud amplifiers blared. I've had a B15, B20 and even the B50 before. You may not believe me, but people just kept buying my guitars, and I never got to play them very long. One guy, who's party I played at, said that I put hidden electronics in them.

Anyhow, really here's the guitar, compound radius top like my 3rd 'Gull, same 24.84" scale and nice cherry back, like ash. 8)

http://www.normanguitars.com/b20.html If you're still reading, see how they're made and get a close up of the nice finish: http://www.normanguitars.com/details.html Also, I am moving and will have a rare private Coffee House in my own place.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

http://www.normanguitars.com/b20.html If you're still reading, see how they're made and get a close up of the nice finish: http://www.normanguitars.com/details.html Also, I am moving and will have a rare private Coffee House in my own place.

Very nice looking guitar.... How much do you want for it then? :mrgreen:

When you sell it to me, and are all cashed up again, you should definitely consider putting a really good pair of nail scissors on your GAS list. Your fretboards might last a bit longer. :wink:

Sorry to hear about all your relocation dramas. It's not to be taken lightly, but it did remind me a little of a Cobb drawing I saw years ago. The scene was one of post nuclear devastation with a lone wide-eyed man walking through the rubble clutching a TV in one hand and holding the cable and plug in the other. So I hope that you get plugged back in soon, both for your instruments' sake and also to find a source for all the other juice that we seem to need to keep our lives running smoothly.

Um, what was the question? Was there a question? Who needs a question. Good stories about all your past guitars, and enticing pics of the latest one. I hope everything goes well from here on.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much Chris for your kind comments. In times like these, I need all the uplifting words of support I can get.

I am physically ill with having been thrown out of my home, and left to fend for myself - my wife wields such power, that even my kids fear her, and have only been able to do token things, or offer small bits of assistance. Most people say it happens to everyone (I don't think so) and it's not their problem - yes that sounds like it; it's what I hear, and "get over it".

The Norman sounds very, very good and will not disappoint. I may join a church to do more playing, if I feel comfortable in a crowd of strangers, and don't get asked my life story. Contrary to belief, I don't tell it, people don't want a downer, just what's new and exciting? Even that is received with mixed reviews or apathy, thanks for caring. It's what I do, too. I've got some feelers out, and am looking to fit into the community here. If I couldn't care about others, (right now it's the tornado situation and flooding in the US) I'd be in the same hole with modern society, or the part of it that doesn't remember how we pulled together and faced our trials like brothers, in the past. I've given or sold my guitars to those in greater need. :(

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Blue jay sorry to hear about your situation, I'm going through the end of a marriage right now, luckily I haven't been thrown out of my house and don't intend to but I know the feeling and it's never good.

This divorce is less stressful than the first but no matter how amicable it is there are always alot of emotions. This is my second marriage and I don't have kids with this one so that makes it alot easier and my kids are very supportive.

It's hard for people that haven't been through it to understand what you go through and even the ones that do it's hard to find words that would make you feel better.

I know the first divorce was the worst time in my life but the good news was that I survived and you will too hang in there, there's going to be alot of dark days ahead in the short term but eventually your life will be back to normal.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about the situations guys. Hang in there Blue Jay. You deserve a new guitar. :)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck with the new guitar and I wish even better wishes for getting back on your feet, so to speak, with your health and emotiional situations.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! Your words of support are most welcome. :D

The guitar is good so far, and probably gets better. It's got the boom of the bass, midranges which I've always had with my cedars, and I have to coax it for treble, or get new strings? Actually, it is massaging me - tickles the tummy with backwards vibration; I like that. They gave me new Martin strings to put on it, Phosphor Bronze. I DO like Godin's original strings, and always have a hard time taking off stuff that is good and throwing things away? So in the meantime - I must play & play! :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote