Skip to content
I got my Strat, now...

Notifications
Clear all

I got my Strat, now I've got another problem....

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the MIM vs MIA Strat question. I went to Gutiar Center yesterday armed with all of my newfound knowledge ready to buy. I played them all, Mexican, American and everything in between. I fell in love with a '70s Strat (MIM). Nothing else even came close. It's white with Maple fretboard and has the vintage oversized head stock. It was love at first sight so I bought it.

The problem is, I was playing them all through a Hot Rod Deluxe. Now I'm spoiled by the tone I was getting. I currently only have an inexpensive Crate amp and obviously my new Strat just doesn't sound the same as it did in the shop. The question is, should I pay for a Hot Rod, go with something like a Blues Junior or go solid state and get more bang for the buck? I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with these amps.

Thanks

(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

Ha! Another soul driven to distraction (or maybe distortion) by the siren call of the tube amp! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I have a Blues jr. and it's very nice, but I think if you already have a Crate, get the Hot Rod and an attenuator. :D

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Really impossible to tell. Most modern digital and tube amps would far outclass your crate.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Really impossible to tell. Most modern digital and tube amps would far outclass your crate.

Yup. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well if you want the responsible answer, try the Peavey classic and maybe a vox AC30, then try out the digital ones. But as you already have one amp, I think you should look for long term value and flexibility.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you're handy with soldier and aren't afraid of high voltage circuits, consider picking up a kit to build your own low-wattage all-tube amp.

The sound you can get for a few hundred bucks rivals much more expensive store bought solutions, and since it's low-wattage you can play it fully saturated in an apartment and not bother anyone.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I use a Peavey 212 special, has the trans tube pre amp that lets you go from straight solid state to a full blown tube sound or anything in between.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The problem is, I was playing them all through a Hot Rod Deluxe. Now I'm spoiled by the tone I was getting. I currently only have an inexpensive Crate amp and obviously my new Strat just doesn't sound the same as it did in the shop. The question is, should I pay for a Hot Rod, go with something like a Blues Junior or go solid state and get more bang for the buck? I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with these amps.

Thanks

If you're seriously considering buying an amp, take your guitar back to GC and use it to try out the amps that interest you (yes, they'll let you do this, just stop at the door so they can tag it for you). Decide on the max price you'll pay, and plug into everything within your range. Buy the one that makes you go "WOW!"

I've got three amps that did that to me. In order of acquisition:

Peavey Duel 212 (120 watts of warm, crunchy tubey mayhem. Dangerous in small venues - may cause nosebleeds or punctured eardrums).

Vox Pathfinder ($99 solid state with Voxy cleans and a bluesy grind that simply amazes people).

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watts of Fender Clean and Tweed crunch that charms you with it's sweetness, but can turn into a swaggering rocker oozing attitude at the blink of an eye.)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Moon,

If you could only have one amp to keep would you keep the Peavey or the Fender?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Moonrider, that's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Plus the guitar guy at the shop where I take lessons is selling his personal Blues Junior for $275. I'm going to bring my new strat in and plug into that tomorrow.

Thanks all for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

sullivandf

Yeah, the Hot Rod Deluxe is a great sounding amp, especially with a Strat. They really sound like they were made for each other.

Myself, and at least half a dozen on here own the HRD. I love mine and it is my main gigging amp.

But that's it in a nutshell. The HRD really is more suited to playing out than playing at home. It is incredibly loud. It is actually a little difficult to use it in a home situation. But get it on a stage and turn it up and it's awesome!

So, if you know you are only going to play at home, or maybe an occasional open mic, then go with a smaller amp like the Blues Junior. The Blues Junior is one great amp. It is smaller and more portable than the HRD. And it's plenty loud! You can play most gigs with a BJ unmic'd. Perfect for the open mic!

At home you will be able to crank the BJ a little. You will not be able to crank the HRD at home at all unless you have an attenuator.

If your friend's Blues Junior is in very good condition, then $275 is a pretty good price. If it looks beat I'd just spend a little extra and buy one new. But my experience with all Fender amps has been very good. They are quality amps built to last.

Let us know what you get.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

If your friend's Blues Junior is in very good condition, then $275 is a pretty good price. If it looks beat I'd just spend a little extra and buy one new. But my experience with all Fender amps has been very good. They are quality amps built to last.

Let us know what you get.

Or he can try to bring the price down on the Blues Junior. As long as there's not any serious things wrong, you could bring the price down to a point where hes stubborn about it, and then finish the deal off by saying you'll take it if he puts new tubes in... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Tubes last a LOT longer than most people think!

Anyway, from experience (I also own the HRD), THEY ARE LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Know what you want before you buy anything. Test everything at the volumes that you normally play at.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker said,
Anyway, from experience (I also own the HRD), THEY ARE LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. I always wondered if maybe some kid walked into a music store to try out a HRD for the first time. Not knowing, he turns it up to 10 or even 12. Then he hits a powerchord!!

Woowee! That's an experience you won't soon forget! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2