Notifications
Clear all

I need help

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wolvlt62)
Topic starter  

Hey i just started playin my guitar. i mean, I have been playin for about a month now, but I am having problems with my fingers. Like, I know the cord and everything, but I mute the strings behind my finger placement. I can't seem to get my fingers to hold the string down enough to make it soudn well, and at the same time trying not to touch another string. Is this something that will come with more practice or is it something that I am doing wrong. Maybe some pointers on problems you have had in the past might help. THANKS Yall

(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Hey i just started playin my guitar. i mean, I have been playin for about a month now, but I am having problems with my fingers. Like, I know the cord and everything, but I mute the strings behind my finger placement. I can't seem to get my fingers to hold the string down enough to make it soudn well, and at the same time trying not to touch another string. Is this something that will come with more practice or is it something that I am doing wrong. Maybe some pointers on problems you have had in the past might help. THANKS Yall

You answerd your question already! Practice makes perfect. Everyone stumbles on chords when they are learning. i sugest making the chord form in your hand on the fretboard then slowely take your hand away form the fretboard but keeping the shape of the chorde then putting it back on and keep doing that until your hands keeps the shape and makes a decent chord without muting. But the golden rule is that practice makes perfect!

Good luck!
Bstguitarist

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member

Those chords are pretty awkward at first but trust me, you get used to all the weird positions your fingers have to be in. Just keep in mind that your fingers have to be pressing the middle or slightly higher than the middle of the fret to get a nice, clear sound.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Maybe your hand and finger placement are wrong. The classical position is for your thumb to be on the back and center of the neck. Your fingers should be curled so that the tips only touch the strings. Wraping your hand around the neck might look cool, but it makes it harder to play cleanly. These suggestions are only guide lines, you'll need to move aruond some to find out what works best for you. Practice, practice, practice.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wolvlt62)
Topic starter  

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Absolutely practice makes perfect, but if there is any pain showing up in your fretting hand or arm, you might want to have someone check the action as well...but bottom line is, it takes tme and work...keep at it!

:)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I can't seem to get my fingers to hold the string down enough to make it soudn well, and at the same time trying not to touch another string. Is this something that will come with more practice or is it something that I am doing wrong.
Try this.. In one of my Beginner Books it says to form the Chord.. say the D Chord.

|--2--|
|--3--|
|--2--|
|--0--|

Then hold it.. and strike each string slowly and see if they all sound, if not you'll know which fingers you need to adjust or press harder... Then once you have all the strings sounding... Strum the chord.

I had the problem you mentioned in my first few weeks and I'd do this simple excersice like a thousand times over and over with all the Open Major Chords.. finally I started to Hit them.... then I started to practice changing chords.

Just go Really slow at first... it'll come. I'm still practicing Chord changes really slowly (5 months later). Its like my instructor says.. "Its better to play it slow but right, than fast and wrong"

Cheers.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote