I need help (and fast !)

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hi ,

if you got too worried about the title relax.But still the matter is that i have to perform in a college function (and that's a competition) solo over guitar.No other instrument in background.Now i have decided over a few songs but can't really make a single choice.My picks are -

1. Right here waiting by richard marx
2. Imagine by john lennon
3. Candle in the wind by elton john
4. Time of your life by greenday ( maybe )

I have even more options but this is quite confusing.If you got some good suggestions or been through a similar situation , please help out.

:oops: 8)

Rahul

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i would say pick the tune you are most comfortable with.
if you are equally at ease with several or all of them then chose the one that you feel sounds best in this application.
if you have time maybe audition the top 2 or 3 picks in front of a trusted friend or family member and get some feedback on which sounds best as a solo.
good luck and let us know how it goes.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I agree. Only you know how good you are and what tunes you can handle. Just choose one you like and want to play. And don't be tempted to choose one that is really technically challenging to impress people but try and choose one that you can play with feeling if that makes any sense at all...

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member

I agree that you need to do the song that feels right to you. But personally (and I know I'll catch heat from someone on this), I hate it when singers try to do Imagine. Although I've heard some perfectly fine interpretations of the song, it just doesn't sound right coming from anyone but Lennon.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I agree that you need to do the song that feels right to you. But personally (and I know I'll catch heat from someone on this), I hate it when singers try to do Imagine. Although I've heard some perfectly fine interpretations of the song, it just doesn't sound right coming from anyone but Lennon.

You have all the rights to express yourself , thats what makes this forum great.And now as far as imagine is concerned , even i personally believe that i can't replicate lennon.I don't know piano , maybe if i knew i just may.Still lennon is lennon and it would only be foolish and not cool to copy him.But that again doesn't stops us from singing his song in the public.After all , when we replicate or try to replicate as you mentioned , that only shows our respect and admiration towards that artist.
:P

(i have still not made a choice :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :oops: )

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree with what Twisted Lefty said. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you can, Record the songs you are interested in and post them here along with a poll.
Sort of a dry run and you will get a bunch of opinions.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Rahul,

Go with Green Day

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote