Clear all

I WANT TO GET SCOTT GORHAMS SOUND!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@funkymonk1985)
Topic starter  

Hello All,

I haven't been on for a while - I managed to sell my strat and got hold of a brand new Jackson RR1 in all black but even with that and my Les Paul, I am still hunting for the lush tones that Scott Gorham (thin lizzy) got.

Anybody out there that can help me out? I've now got an MXR phase shifter and that helps for songs like Southbound but i am still stumped for getting sounds like Jailbreak and dont believe a word!

Help a desperate thin lizzy fan today please!

:-)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I happen to think Scott Gorham's sound is the ideal guitar tone. I think the Les Paul is a good start. A good tube amp like a Marshall would be good also. I would think a humbucker and a tube amp, but there is a lot of sound in the fingers too and those belong to Mr. Gorham. Jail Break is one of my favorites. It doesn't sound to me like there is a whole lot of processing going on there. It sounds meat and potatos guitar and overdriven tube amp. Sorry I'm not more help. Just wanted you to know I like your taste in guitar tone. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@funkymonk1985)
Topic starter  

Yeah thanks I pretty much have those already - a Gibson Les Paul and a TSL Head and 1960s cab.

If I had to name one song it would be the lead in Dancing in the Moonlight - really solid but lush tone.

I guess it is largely in the fingers but do you have any idea what EQ settings he uses - sounds like a fair bit of reverb too . . . . .

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

This from Wikipedia

"Initially, Scott used a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe guitar with mini humbuckers. He then bought a '59 Les Paul in Boston, which became his main guitar until Thin Lizzy broke up in 1984. Nowadays, Scott uses a Fender Stratocaster guitar with 100-watt 1970's Marshall Amplifiers[1]. Even before Thin Lizzy split up, Scott started using Fender Stratocasters, and now almost always uses one.[2]"

Don't forget, Thin Lizzy used a dual lead guitar sound with the guitars a third apart; since copied by Iron Maiden and lots of others. Also, I couldn't find anything about his frontline so you might find it's a case of just ramping up the volume and plugging straight into a Marshall head.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote