Clear all

IM A VOCLIST and GUITAREST

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@johnandhole)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok.. I think im pretty good at vocals and I play at local bars around ohio.. and im geting some church gigs.. But all the times. Someone else was playin guitar (my guitarist in my band) or a guy anme eric brooks whos a local artist around here.. and I try so many times to sing and play my guitar at the same time.. because im better than my guitarist so theres things i have to do.. BUT i can not do it :cry: .. I been workin on it so long.. is there any tips on singing and playin at the same time... sometimes if im doing good i go for liek 30 sec and something ends up giving in.. i do songs like goo goo dolls, matchbox 20 and stuff theres some pickin songs but the strummin songs are a little easyer but i still mess up but theres alot of pickin songs i can play on guitar and sing but i cant do them at the same time

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I am just starting to conquer this myself actually, it took me a while, but there's absolutlely no reason to say you can't do it, it will come, I found it to be really helpful to do really simple excersises, like..

just count out loud with your guitar, if you're strumming a rhythm, hum/sing with the rhythm, and try to keep it up with a metronome, if you can do this for about 2 minutes, you'll be in pretty good shape to be able to try full songs with alternate vocal lines against the guitar

write your own vocal lines, if you can do improvisational singing against your guitar playing, it's the most entertaining and productive excercise you can do

and an important one, I dunno if you do, but practice singing, do arpeggios and scales, always warm-up before you sing, you need to be proficient at both instruments separately before you can meld them together

well, that's my two cents, and it's quite a sensation to sing and play at the same time, so keep at it, 30 seconds is very close to full proficiency

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@johnandhole)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alright thanks. I will try some of them things out!! 8) .. and i will let you know if its workin!!. thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, currently I'm a "full time guitarist, part time drummer", as I like to say (meaning I study guitar ALOT, whereas I only study a couple of hours of drumming a week). However I want to start singing soon, so I've been trying to sing scales and stuff. I've recorded myself singing and it doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but it's not great either.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

yup, sometimes the hardest part of going through the learning process is hearing yourself learn

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Check out this article about singing and playing by our very own Nick Torres.

If Only I Had (Another) Brain

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote