Clear all

In/on guitar effect switches

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Having researched a few of my favorite guitar players gear, it has become apparent they've done a lot of modding on their guitars until they're a highly unique piece of kit.

I was wondering what these changes might be? Changes that increase distortion? An extra switch that creates a built in effect?

What's going on in those solid wooden bodies?
:)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Clazon, can you maybe give a specific example, and maybe a pic?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm.

I'll have a root around for the link, but Jonny Greenwood's earlier telecaster and his "current" one are both supposed to have had alot of work done to them...

This tells you about his set-up:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/510/

If you want something else, then maybe I didn't understand your question! :D

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Google guitar mods and you'll get it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

thats called a kill switch it is used to cause an on off effect it is pretty popularor for just tuning your instrument.

But you can get the actual "kill switch effect" with a regular LP toggle Jimmy Page made that famous believe.

I have a Kill switch installed on my Modded '51 and it adds a nice flavor to solos and stuff or to make odd sounding rhythms.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm.

Anything else?

I'll have to look into this...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Check Muse: a guitar made out of a American bomber aircraft, a guitar with lasers build-in that shine outside into the audience, build in flangers with a bunch of controls for them, a small functioning ventilation fan added for cosmetic purposes, mid-range boost for more gain during solos.

Most of the modding is just nonsense, but you've got to waste your time somehow once you're big, right? ;)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

My latest project was installing an expander circuit in my strat. Trying to do this stuff for the first time is a PAIN!!! I would personally stay away. I'm not doing it again.

Tom Morello of Audioslave/Rage Against the Machine has a lot of stuff done to his guitars. He uses a killswitch to obtain his scratching, and one of his guitars has a built in flange and stuff like that.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Most of the modding is just nonsense, but you've got to waste your time somehow once you're big, right? ;)
Dunno if it's true, but I heard that the very first thing Matt went out and bought when he got his first big cheque wasn't a flash car, big house etc. It was a jet pack :shock: Now that's a real musician :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

a guitar with lasers build-in that shine outside into the audience,yeah i think GWAR did that to...i hate GWAR...also Tom Delonge formerly of Blink-182, now of Angels and Aiwaves, got one of those strats with the double humbucker, a slanted single coil,and a regular single coil and took out both the singles and the tone switchs. its a pretty sweet strat. also the bassist of Pillir had his fret dots replaced with bue lights. it looks awsome live...i've seen them live.
and could someone tell me how to put in a killswitch and tell me if it has any thing to do with killswitch engage... :shock: :D 8) :) :o :? GIT :? SNAKE :D BIT :!:

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I have all of the killswitch engage albums, and I've seen them live, and they don't use any killswitches. Put the pinch harmonics are everywhere. And I hate GWAR as well. Going to a show to get fake blood all over you is not my idea of fun. If I wan't to get messy I'd go sit in the front row of Galihger. - Spelled wrong, late, I'm not looking it up.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

yah... ihate GWAR.its not real music. what with the satanicism and stupid lyrics.they suck...but lets get back on topic.
GIT SNAKE BIT :!: ding

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote