Clear all

A trip to guitar center is always a learning expierience

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, today was the kickoff of summer vacatioin, which is worth a party in my opinion. My best friend came over in the AM and we jammed for a while, and then, my second best friend came over with his cousin/friend, and we all went out for lunch. Next on the agenda was guitar center, as two of us are guitarists, one used to be a drummer, and the other didn't care. At guitar center, I went staight to the acoustic room. My friend is still on his first acoustic, which is a laminate top no-name dreadknot with half steel half nylon strings. He's been looking into getting a steel string acoustic. He doesn't have much understanding for what sounds good and what doesn't by looking. He was kind of picking up a few here and there. An ovation, an laminate epi, etc. I hit my hand to my head, and asked him if he knew what he was looking for, and he said he really was hoping I would have helped him sooner. Well I had him looking at a Yamaha and a few others when I saw a "Mitchell" Solid Spruce Top guitar, with a new pricetag of 149.99. It actually looked impressive, And had a nice white binding on the neck. I played it and it impressed me. He was still playing some acoustic, when I stopped him, and asked him to play the Mitchell. He did and it sounded really nice from a distance. I must say I was impressed. I can't seem to find anything about Mitchell on the net, and its not even on musician's friend, which is unusual for something at guitar center. So anyway, the MD100S is the model #, and it really impressed me. Sounded almost as nice as any low to mid range acoustic I've heard yet. It in the catalog along with a 12 string version for 200. My friend, who is working up to buy a new acoustic, has decided on that Mitchell. I tried after that to find something that sounded nicer, and nothing under 250 did.

And before today I had never heard of Mitchell.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Mitchell/MD_100S-1.html

I kind of thought it was something like a house brand but I'm not sure.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

dreadknot!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One of my students has a Mitchell - it seems like a really nice budget guitar.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I kind of thought it was something like a house brand but I'm not sure.

I've read that, too. GC's house brand - named after their founder, Wayne Mitchell. I think I read that it's made by Samick. Not sure.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

dreadknot!!!!!

...keeps dreadlocks from coming undone?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dreadknot....I like it. It can refer to any cheap acoustic with plywood knots in the top.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

This will likely go for a decent price and may be worth his time to bid on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitchell-Dreadnought-Spruce-Grovers-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ250000496788QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thats the one, if not real close to the one at guitar center. The binding is really nice, you can see some of it in those pics.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Dreadknot....I like it. It can refer to any cheap acoustic with plywood knots in the top.

Makes more sense than Martin naming the style after a class of battleship :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I picked up a cheap $99 acoustic at a music shop once and played a few chords and I was like "Dreadnought?!!? More like Dread-NOT!!!"
Of course, nobody got it and my wife just looked away and shook her head.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

This will likely go for a decent price and may be worth his time to bid on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitchell-Dreadnought-Spruce-Grovers-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ250000496788QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That deal is worth it only if it stays under $75 - the shipping to me is $60 !!!!

The HSC is nice.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I would stick with one that's already been tried, at that price range I would expect some inconsistency in quality.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote