Notifications
Clear all

Les Paul Standards

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@stlguitarist92)
Topic starter  

I am talking about the epiphone Les Paul Standard.

About a year ago i decided to try out the Epiphone G-310 which is a pretty nice playing SG. Whenever i got it, it was around 250 (its now 200). Anyways it was nice and i would prefer it anyday over a squier. I used it at some shows every now and then but recently decided i wanted to try out Epiphone again. Since i was impressed with the SG I decided to try out my luck with an Epiphone LP Standard. I went down to the guitar center plugged it into some Crate Combo amp and started playing away.

I knew from the minute i started to play this guitar that it was a winner!
It wasn't amazing! Everything from the fast playing neck to the amazing sound of it. It looked amazing in Transparent Blue too!

I realize now that in SOME case the difference between an Epiphone and Gibson, is just the headstock.

If anyone out there is looking for an amazing yet, decent priced guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul is that way to go. (Also see Epiphone G-310).

(@stlguitarist92)
Topic starter  

It WAS* amazing.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

you can click on the edit button top right ;) Oh and welcome!
Do you know what the difference is btw the StandardClassicCustom and Specials? They all seem to be fairly similar in price (within £100) and I can't work out which are the better ones

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The specials are the budget range - no archtop, solid body (no maple top), etc.
The main difference between the others is that they have different neck profiles and, for the life of me, I can't remember which one has which profile (Std=slim neck?, classic/custom = thick neck?) otherwise, it's purely cosmetic, I think.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

A Gibson classic will have hotter pickups, but I don't think that applies to the Epi range.

If the descriptions on the Epiphone site are to be believed, the differences between custom and standard are just cosmetic. The 'ultra' however does have hotter pick-ups.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I believe the real difference between the standard and custom Epis is in the QA and cosmetics. Sonically it's quite a like.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

If you like the standard then you'll like the studio. Its the exact same guitar only with small cosmetic differences (no covers on the pups). Save you some bucks.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Back when I was looking for a new guitar, before I bought my Explorer, I came across this, it's a video demo for an Epiphone Les Paul standard. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPYn1CTrxo&search=Les%20Paul%20Standard

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

There's more of a diff than the headstock. I'm happy for you that your epi is a winner, but the gibson has more attention paid to the neck, and the pups in the gibosn are better. My advice, have a luthier float then crown those frets. The finish work of the frets is the main diff between the epi and the gibson regarding playabilty. If you float (level) and crown (round the edges) the frets the epi will have much smoother faster action. This work is generally about $100 plus or minus a few coins depending where you live. Also, the pickups in the epi can be upgraded. If you heard my 57 RI pups thru my marhall stack you'd hear a huge tonal diff. However, if you decide to upgrade your pups and float/crown the frets, your out of pocket for the modified epi will be much less than the gibson and you'll have a guitar that does indeed sound and play as good as the high dollar axe.

PK

ReplyQuote
(@stlguitarist92)
Topic starter  

oh yea i know for sure the pick-ups need to be upgraded and stuff, I said in some instances. I mean like the Gibson LP vintage Mahogany...for instance if you compare this 800 dollar guitar with a Epi lp standard which is 500, i have read professinal reviews which say that the Epiphone would take the Gibson on that one, which i believe becauwse i've played the difference between the two. I don't mean that Epiphone is better in no way. Epiphone is a lower quality in most cases, but i'm saying for people who need back-ups and stuff this thing is amazing. Even for your main guitar.

ReplyQuote