Clear all

Instructional DVDs

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi folks, happy christmas and new year to all!

Ive got a few quid to spare (cheers gran :D ) and im hoping to pick up another guitar dvd, and im looking for suggestions. Not interested in another 'shred' video, or anything heavily geared towards speed playing - already got Rock Discipline and thats plenty.
I like the look of the eric johnson video, anyone have it or any experience with it ?
all suggestions and reviews welcome and appreciated :)

cheers
mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

Not familiar with the Johnson one but i've seen alot of instructionals. The problem with them all is that they are just instructionals, non of them really cover aspects of song writing or theory at all. Considering the price is around £40 for them if i were in your position i'd buy 4 good books. There is no short cut to being a good guitar player, just hardwork, I have downloaded about 10 instructional videos and all they have really taught me is licks, and grouping exercises. I'm gonna grab a few new guitar books in New Year. Check out amazon, there are some really good ones out there.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Well "Making music, not just playing exercises" are Marty Friedman's first words in his DVD "Melodic Control". He has a very exotic and unique sound and approach to playing so I'd certainly recommend this DVD. He gives advice on soloing over chord progressions and stuff, focusing on note choice rather than licks.
Only thing you might consider a downside is that he doesnt give you many specific things to learn. Its more like advice, tips and an insight into how he approaches melodic control.

http://www.martyfriedman.com/video.php

I havnt seen it but perhaps Guitar Kids Ganbatte is better if you want something less rambling and more specific. He still covers soloing over a chord progression, along with making a phrase, exercises and oriental playing...hmm maybe ill get that :)

ReplyQuote
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

Marty Friedman one is not bad. Only problem is that he doesn't approach soloing with scales. Instead he just goes with what notes sound good over certain chords. It's a bit confusing as he doesn't relate any of it back to scales, so there is quite alot of homework with that one.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Yeah he also talks about comming up with your own scales and forming arpeggios on the fly. So it probably would be much more useful if you already know the notes on the fretboard.

ReplyQuote