Clear all

Interesting little thing I noticed

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

As some of you may know, I posted talking about my new guitar with pictures, this is a Fender strat. This is different than my old Squier Affinity series strat. The one thing I really noticed is that the fender's neck feels thicker, not by much, but when you have small hands like me it throws you off a bit. (now I can't wrap my thumb a la hendrix style as easily). I guess my hands will have to adjust over time.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I noticed this too. The next time you visit a decent guitar store, see if they have a Buddy Guy signature model or better yet a Clapton model. The necks on those babies (especially the Clap') are HUGE. They're more like tree trunks than anything else! They're just heavy and dense...I suppose it marginally improves the tone.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Did you notice a big difference int he feel of the neck? I have an American Texas strat and had a MIM strat and there was really no comparison betwen the feel of the two necks. The American was unbelievable. The MIM was nice, but nothing special.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Me too - I started with a Squier Affinity and then got a MIM strat a year later - the necks are quite different - I actually like the Affinity neck better........sort of...but its long been retired from active use - it used to be my travel guitar when I went off on business trups

Then I got an Ibanez artist which is much different than either Strat......

I like the variety...

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Some of the Squiers have very narrow necks, especially at the nut. I had a little trouble getting used to my Squier Tele when I first got it. It was a little difficult to fret chords like a Dm or A because I had to jam my fingers closer together. Now I am used to it and have no problems at all.

I also replaced the neck on my Fender American Strat because the frets were worn badly. I bought one of the Mighty Mite's. They are Fender licensed. This neck is 1/16" wider at the nut than the original Fender neck. I like it much better than the original neck, very comfortable, just wish it still had the Fender logo on there. The neck color was a little different too.

Here is a pic of both guitars.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I noticed this too. The next time you visit a decent guitar store, see if they have a Buddy Guy signature model or better yet a Clapton model. The necks on those babies (especially the Clap') are HUGE. They're more like tree trunks than anything else! They're just heavy and dense...I suppose it marginally improves the tone.

I suppose a bigger neck could thicken the tone a bit, but they're more for people like me with huge hands. Whenever i've pickep up something like an ibanez in a music store, i've hated it because those little necks will give me cramps.

ReplyQuote