Notifications
Clear all

INTERNSHIPS @ Record Labels Question!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jbo99)
Topic starter  

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/tips. I am basically finished school (just have one course left) and I will be getting a B.A. in Business. I want to pursue a music career in Marketing and Media Relations or as an A&R. I'm looking to get an internship position with any record label (whether big or small) in Toronto ON.

I have applied to several so far and followed up by calling, but have not had any responses (it has been 3 weeks). Is getting an internship position extremely competitive? or do Record Labels receive thousands of application and don't have time to respond?

Am I being too impatient? also I was considering paying membership for the site http://www.musicinternships.net , does anyone know whether it is a good site?

I'm kind of discouraged.. Thanks

(@jbo99)
Topic starter  

Maybe my question was too long... sorry im a newbie here.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

it is extremely competitive trying to get an internship or a job in the music industry with a label. i tried last year and was unsuccessful (interviewed with Jive Records, Stone Crow Records, and Kemado Records in NYC). they get thousands of applications and have to weed it down to just a few people. if you really want to work in the industry, you'll probably have to move to New York or LA (i would guess). if it is what you really want to do, keep trying and don't get discouraged.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@jbo99)
Topic starter  

wow i did not know that, that is discouraging but im not going to give up!
thanks for you advice

ReplyQuote
(@hellokit)

If you can try to find a small independent record label. Youll have a better chance with those.
I am currently doing an internship with a small local record label. they are mainly an indie label. I just pretty much contacted them and sent tthem my resume. I later went for an interview and started working there two weeks later. It helped that I am getting school credit for doing this, thus it is not a paid internship. But the perks and the people are great and I am learning a little bit of everything on how things are run there.

ReplyQuote