Notifications
Clear all

Introduction

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@karl-78)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I just found GN a couple days ago in an effort to rekindle my desire to become a better player. I have been playing since I was about 16 (10 years ago) and I still consider myself a novice. To think where I could be now if I had taken lessons. But mainly for financial reasons I tried to teach myself which hasn't done much for me except I can play some songs from tab. I also never got much experience playing with others because I never had a real amp (again, financial reasons).

So here I am, I want to start practicing for real but I still can't afford to take lessons. I am hoping that being immersed in this site will help keep me motivated lest I neglect to practice for months on end AGAIN. Up to this point I have just learned whatever songs I liked that I thought I could play from tabs, and then I play them....that's the extent of my practicing. I know about a dozen chords (I know that sucks) and I'm sure I don't know how to use them properly. Scales are confusing to me but I try.

Anyways I hope I get to know some of you and maybe some of you can relate to my situation. Any advice will be graciously accepted. Thanks.

Karl

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Welcome Karl. I hope you find what you're looking for here. Theres a golden key that I think every aspiring guitarist stumbles upon, eventually, that makes you say " Right! Of course! Now it all seems so simple." I think that you can find that at this site for sure. There's tonnes of tutorials and lots of open minded people. Check out the easy song database and by all means ask a lot of questions. Somebody will help you. I know I've learned plenty from the people at this site.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

when i started, early this year actually, i found this site in a yahoo search. It helps a lot to read the lessons, but you have to practice every day and not stop for months end. I know i've come along way in a short time thanks in part to this site and this forum. But good luck with starting again an welcome to the forums mate

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

o yeah an as for advice start in the begginer part on the left side of the home page an start with lessons there. At the ned of a lot of lessons it usaully says where to go from there

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@karl-78)
Topic starter  

Cool, nice to meet you guys and thanks for the tips.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Welcome. I found this place not too long ago and really enjoy reading what the guys here have to say. The lessons are great as well. Certainly the kind of place you want to bookmark.

Oh, and I just got my 100th post!

YEAH! 8)

Ok, carry on (my) wayward son. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@karl-78)
Topic starter  

Oh, and I just got my 100th post!

Congrats

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

Although this site is great and everything, there are also some other sites that you can use to help you on your way some more:

http://www.cyberfret.com/

http://www.guitar-resource-center.com/guitar_lessons_online.html

Also, if you go to yrou nearest music/guitar shop they're bound to have some self-teach books which often come with CDs and help to motivate you some more. :wink:

Good luck, and if you ever make it big, don't forget about me, :lol:

Alex

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

You've found the right place to learn and ask questions. Here you'll find folks from every walk of live, also guitar players from beginners to advance willing help others advance in more than just playing guitar.

There is positive correlation between improvement of "innovative activity and creativity"

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Hey Karl - I am laughing because I have a very similar story that lead me to GN about a year ago. I started playing at 16 which was (yikes!) almost 8 years ago. I would play for a month and then take about a 6 month break until college where I just about completely stopped playing. Sigh, if I had only practiced, how good could I be. I finally decided that instead of whining or dreaming about being good, I would use that time to practice instead. Well, I found GN and it has helped me greatly. I have to admit there was a month or two that I still took off in the last year but that is a big improvement from before. I also still consider myself a novice and am still looking for the "golden key" mentioned above - how come nobody said anything about this before? If only I had known it was a key I was looking for! Many of us haven't had professional lessons either, like me. I am sure you are going to find GN to be a large help. Welcome to the board!

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If only I had known it was a key I was looking for!

It's a key alright... it's just not one you can get from standard tuning until you've paid the appropriate price :)

And a warm welcome to the community, Karl!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Welcome Karl... Any questions about anything you can post it somewhere on this forum ,and your guranteed to get an answer. Enjoy.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Getting lessons on a DVD might also be an idea. That's what I did when I first started playing earlier this year. Mine took me throgh chords- both open and barred; and now I'm learning scales from it. And after six months I don't think I'm halfway through it (well, the barre chord lessons took me about three months, and now I'm not focusing as much time on the lessons because I need to spend time learning the music for the church guitar group. Byt anyhow, a DVD might be an inexpensive alternatine. Between that and all of the lessons on this site you would have plenty to guide you along.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@karl-78)
Topic starter  

You guys are great! Thanks for the tips and for welcoming me. :D

ReplyQuote