Pull offs

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I have a question on pull offs.

I have been doing pull offs by just lifting my finger off the string. This works well most of the time. When doing multiple pull offs such as the intro to wish you were here it won't work.

When I try to pull with my fingers there are 3 problems.

The biggest is that my callouses begin to get torn up after only a few minutes of practice. I also have a problem getting the sound that I want and I frequently hit the next lower string. The last two problems I am sure I can overcome with practice, if I could practice without tearing up my callouses.

Its a vicious cycle!

I play an acoustic and I am not pulling of aggressively.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Max

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You're right about the vicious circle: solving the problem is a matter of practice... but before you can practice it right, you've got to know what the problem is.

The callouses shearing is because the string is acting like a knife on your fingertip. It sounds to me like you get the sound you want when you pull sideways during the pull-off, and that's ok (I do it too!)... but you're pulling sideways, then lifting. It has to be the other way around - you start to lift, and then pull sideways to release the string.

Work at it slowly with just the fretting hand. The sideways pull will be enough to sound the string on its own, but without a lot of volume. You'll find you don't need to have a lot of pressure on the string - just enough t keep it against the fret - when you start the sideways move. When you then add the picking of the first note, the volume will increase, because the string is already vibrating... you're just giving it a little more 'oomph'.

Pulling off later in the motion, when your finger is already rising from the fretboard, should also help solve the problem of striking the next string. It gives you a little more room to clear, because you start the finger motion higher up.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Noteboat,

I think you nailed it. I gave it a try earlier and I don't think it will be that difficult of a change to make. It only took a couple of minutes to correct. I just have to make it habbit and work some more on doing it while fretting with my other fingers.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote