Clear all

Is it a gift? What to do?

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Kind of long story but I will be as breif as I can.
On Aug. 4th I ordered a fingerstyle songbook from a marketplace vendor at Amazon.com
Several vendors had this book so I chose one in my home state thinking I would get it faster.
After 2 weeks went by and not hearing anything I started sending emails to the vendor. After 5 email with no reply and delivery time had ran out I requested a Refund from Amazon (which I received) and left negative feedback. The vendor replied to my negative feedback and called me a liar and posted a confirmation number. Looking up the confirmation number it actually proved I did not receive the book.
So after I got my refund I ordered from a different vendor.
I received my book from the second vendor today and also received a book from the first vendor today.
The book from the first vendor that I got today isn't even what I ordered but a fairly nice classic rock guitar book.
Is this book a gift from the first vendor for the bad deal on the order?
I would email him and ask but history proves he won't reply anyway.
What should I do with this book or what would you do?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You should mail the vendor (yep, snail mail) recorded delivery and tell him that you have received a book from him that you didn't order. You are giving him 7 days from the date of receipt to arrange for collection, at his cost otherwise you will regard the item as a gift.
Basically, if he does nothing, you keep the book. If he shouts, then he either collects it or spends far more time than the value of the book in whinging.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'd email him a couple of times, and if he never responded, I'd assume it was a gift to try to appologize for the initial screw up. If they say it is a gift, I'd make it clear that the feedback wont be changing or revoked because of a gift (that almost sounds like you're being bought off for good feedback), but that it was appreciated. If they say it was a mistake, send the thing back.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Gotta agree with Greybeard on this one. Snailmail is a much more reliable solution when you are dealing with business. If you email him its easy for him to say that he never got it and you never paid for the purchase. Theres no reason to assume its a gift. If it was meant to be one then he will tell you that when you snail mail him. Sounds like a poorly organized business man to me.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Yep, me too actually. I was posting at the same time as him, and didnt see what he posted. Greybeard is definatly right on this one.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

registered snail mail to CYA :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

depends. If you consider this guys actions prove he's something of a jerk, keep it. If he was a good guy and there was just a mix up (and he has poor business skills IE. not responding to your email) then do the registered mail thing.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

KEEP IT!

Nothing better than free stuff :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Greybeard is keeping in mind the axiom " What Goes round, Comes Around." To some that is philosphy, to some, religion. Do what feels right to you. Be right in "your" actions no matter what others do. Your decision is all about your life. Being fair and giving others a chance is a great idea, even if they are stupid.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The plot thickens.
The shipping label he used was from Aug 8 from his online USPS account. (he realized the Confirmation number showed non delivery)(you can re-print a label anytime)
I received my refund from Amazon for non delivery more than 2 weeks ago.
It looks like he is trying to fool Amazon about the delivery.
Also I notice he is no longer a vendor for the book I actually ordered.
I am sendind Amazon a lengthy email and see what they have to say.
I am certainly not going to pay to send this book back.
This jerk really ticks me off and looking at his 20% negative feedback I am not alone.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Best of both worlds?????

Scan every page and then send it back. :roll: .... :lol:

Really, send it back. It could turn into too much BS down the road for a book.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The guy sounds pretty disorganised.

I'd certainly send him some sort of mail to give him the opportunity to explain himself. As Greybeard says, the onus is on him to collect the goods if there has been an error. You are not obliged to mail it back at your expense of time trouble and cash.

I would feel that both morally and legally you should notify him that you have the book in your possession. As you haven't paid for it there may be a legal obligation to keep it in good order and at least give the owner a chance to retrieve it.

I would want to clear it up just out of interest, and I also wouldn't just keep something I got in error and have a clear conscience.

I'd try an email at the very least, and see what happened. And I'm a very clean reader, so I'd read the book while I waited too. :D

Please let us know if you get any more response.

EDIT:

I agree with Tracker that the BS could be more hassle than the worth of the book. But if he really is trying something weird then he might try and maintain he never got it back. So I'd hang onto it for a bit yet.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

But if he really is trying something weird then he might try and maintain he never got it back. So I'd hang onto it for a bit yet.
That is part of what I am afraid of, he is trying to pull a fast one after getting himself in the ringer with Amazon.
I did send an email to Amazon asking what to do and relayed my fear of his lying about not getting it back if I do send it.
I cant send it signature required because his return address is a P.O. box.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

KEEP IT!

Nothing better than free stuff :lol:

Ya just GOTTA LOVE us New Yorker's.

If it ain't nailed down it must mean that it's mine. Fuggetaboutit !!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mike

Follow your conscience on this one. You'll do what's right. The fact that you had to ask the question means that you know keeping it outright is bad for your Karma.

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I cant send it signature required because his return address is a P.O. box.
Yes you can. You can send it requesting a 'Return Receipt for Merchandise'. Since it is a PO Box, you will have to send it via the Post Office.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2